solder paste for smt functions

I've been using regular soldering equipment for smt stuff like SOIC chips.

I'm getting ready to move to even smaller stuff like LQPF packages and is probably time to start using equipment designed for this.

What's the best place to get solder paste in small quantities (I'm not doing production work just prototyping work as part of my ham radio hobby)?

tim ab0wr

Reply to
tim gorman

Wassco

sells 35g syringes of paste for about 1/3 of what Digikey wants.

Reply to
Rob Gaddi

Rob,

Thanks for the recommendation. They are just what I was looking for. Reasonable price too.

Tim

Reply to
tim gorman

I went down to a local PCB assembly shop and got a free syringe of expired solderpaste and it worked fine. I think for prototyping the specs can be a lot less than if you are doing production work.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Morken

Check with Topline, see if they will be willing to send you a sample (see link on this page)

Good luck!

-- Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for premises cabling users and pros
Residential Cabling Guide

-------------------------------------

sci.electronics.design - 9603 messages and counting!

Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Tim,

You might also check out HMC Electronics

and Techni-Tool
Their prices seem to be a little cheaper than Wassco.

--
James T. White
Reply to

If by equipment you mean stencil and solder paste, than go ahead. If you are going to syringe the soldepaste in pads you are going to make a mess. I suggest 0.015" pitch solder (Digikey) fine tip and stereo microscope.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar