Solar PV comparable to gas fired power stations

I hope you mean 1GW. 1MW is UPS territory. ;-)

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ooops. Just testing to see if anyone is awake. Dinorwig manages nearly 1.6GW and is 12s to full load.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

There was a headline in the late 1950s "ZETA! free power from the sea". I still have a reference to it in a book from the time.

This was ZETA

alang

And we might well have had controlled fusion by now if all the money had not been poured into Tokamak

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

ut

Well then, let's pump gold. It's denser, and it saves money. ;-)

-- Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

. snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

out

ur

be

ts

It just takes a puddle...

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Your idea of what's reasonable isn't universally shared.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

bout

our

be

Keeping it warm enough to flow is a problem. Liquid tungsten is slightly denser, but much harder to melt. Platinum is appreciably denser - 19.77 gm/cc - and while it melts at 1763.3C, which is higher than you'd need for gold - 1064.18C - it is cooler than you'd need for tungsten.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

. snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

out

ur

be

ts

Some people have been known to pump air into underground caverns to store energy, and let it expand again when they need the power. Nuclear explosives are a neat way of making underground caverns if you don't actually want to get into them.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

and overlook the fact that ALL the energy used to putt a Prius around still comes from petrol ....

Reply to
who where

(snips)

Yep, 1333W * 5 hours (I usually allow six) =6667Whr. Averaged over 24 hours, allows you about 277 Watts average. Doesn't go far.

As in, do it at work?

The Snowy Mountains (Hydro) Scheme in Australia has been using nocturnal pumping to storage lakes since the 1960's, as a means of peak-lopping. Links are almost impossible to find, almost everything on the scheme nowadays is about the actual hydro generation or irrigation aspects. One pumping station I visited there in 1969 had a

25,000 HP pump motor (IIRC there were ore than the one) which used a *small* pony motor to spin it up to speed under no-flow conditions, a mere 1000HP itself.

The importance of hydro for peak lopping cannot be over-estimated, as its availability and cost are unrelated to time of day.

Reply to
who where

--
Nonsense.

Take the "ding" post, where you declared that an inductor, at the
frequency required, could have a Q of 200 or so and was readily
available?

Cite a source.
Reply to
John Fields

ar so

After re-reading the thing critically, I guess they really mean 500 suns' concentration, or about 60W / cm^2.

Actually, I jumped on it. I put him off the idea, killing a few 'green' pseudo-jobs but hopefully saving the taxpayers a buck or two. T'was the least I could do.

Ayn Rand thought the same. But, engineers running the world? Too many can't balance their equipment budgets. A.R. was kind of an ing=E9nue.

Some sort of merit-testing to weed out the rot would be good. Oh yeah, we have that. The standards must suck.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I have no idea what post you are referring to. It sounds like you've been brooding over this for years. Obsession for sure.

But you have snipped all the good stuff and dredged this up.

John

Women are great but they don't ski fast. Usually.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Some do. Some really do.

The Brat can almost keep up with me. One of these days she'll be faster.

John

Excellent.

Not unless you slow down. Density's too low for lasses. High surface- to-weight ratio too.

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

It also degrades gradually in adverse conditions, and the occurence of doubling is (I believe) usually obvious, and can be immediately addressed.

One can imagine more complex schemes that would eliminate doubling, but more complex systems can just die suddenly and completely - just what you don't want in ATC.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Yes, but I think that claims was made by scientists who did not understand economics, and thought that operating cost was all that mattered.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Ach! I seem to be missing posts again.

For this to make economic sense, solar power has to cost less than the

*operating cost* for gas powered stations, so that you install a solar power system because its capital cost is more than offset by the reduction in fuel, wear and maintenance of the gas plant.

Solar power would have to be *very* cheap for that to work.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else