Solar inverter with battery UPS

Another supplier of inverters listed for utility connected UPS service:

Some of these are available with "grid-zero" operating mode for locations where the utility will not pay for solar power. Solar power in excess of demand during the day charges batteries which are used at night, down to some programmable fraction of full charge, before current is drawn from the utility as needed.

Reply to
glen walpert

It is most economical to install a new roof and solar panels at the same time, since they both have about the same life expectancy (25 to 30 years for good quality roof and solar).

Almost never if done properly. There are dozens of well designed mounts for various roof types which are reliable when installed correctly, preferably by a competent roofer at the time of roof installation.

Darwin.

Photos of lunacy abound :-). Plenty of photos of good economical installations too, but they are boring.

Reply to
glen walpert

Cars and houses get wrecked. Much of Bewrowra is still under tarpaulins at present. It tends to happen in small areas, under 500m square, every couple of years somewhere else in Sydney. Just a risk we take for living in God's own country.

We have a steel roof. They get dented but usually survive big hail, and we haven't been hit that badly yet.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Badly damaged cars are now statutory write-offs, not allowed ever to be re-registered, so you don't see them on the roads. Even though they'd be perfectly safe when repaired properly, there must be enough shonky repair shops that pass off badly-repaired cars, to motivate the current practice.

Not rare, but definitely localised.

I dunno, a friend says his (insurance company) employer has been hit very hard this season.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

You do seem to get exceptional thunderstorms and hail though. In the UK anything approaching golf ball sized hail would make the national news. We do get hail from time to time but it is mostly

Reply to
Martin Brown

in

.

gh

utside?

There's not a lot of Bewrowa to get wrecked.

Total area is 8.7km^2 or 3.7 square miles.

Sydney has an area of 12,367.7 km2 (4,775.2 sq mi). There are about 50,000

500m square areas in that total. One of them getting hit by big hailstones every couple of years says that you would have to wait 100,000 years before your roof got hit again.

And probably won't be until long after the roof has rusted away.

Newspaper reports about something happening to somebody who might be you do esn't necessarily imply that it is likely to happen to you.

It tends to make the news here too. It doesn't happen often. Australia is a big country with lots of space for rare and localised events to take place .

The 1980 hailstorm in Munich did.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It's very much an issue here too

NT, England

Reply to
tabbypurr

25 years is only realistic for a flat roof, which are notoriously short lived.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr