Soft x-rays for that healthy buzz

Here's a fun story.

I was at a "typical" 2010s-era birthday party with liquid nitrogen, microscope crystals, UV paint, weird DIY internet foods, etc. Me, I supplied the uranium glass, GM counter, vac pump+chamber, argon and high voltage.

:)

While my alpha-window GM counter was chirping away on the coffee table, suddenly its output went crazy. Roaring, needle-pinning!

It's WW-III!

Nope. It's 1920 quack medicine. Someone was running their Renu-Life violet wand teslacoil device about 8ft away from the counter. But that doesn't make sense. Quack-medical devices put out a bit of UV only. Well, sometimes their RF hash can get picked up by a poorly-shielded probe cable.

But no, the culprit was one particular attachment. It was a significant source of soft, easily-shielded x-rays. Aha, that particular glass "violet-ray electrode" doesn't glow purple like all the rest. Instead, it's dark inside, but with brief flashes of green fluorescence on the glass. With the violet wand output being upwards of 50 to 75KV, that might also be the peak KEV of any x-ray photons. Maybe not so "soft." Also, unlike all the other glass electrodes, this one had a coiled wire stretched along the tube, inside the vacuum. The better to capacitively couple the HV terminal to the vacuum- insulated glass?

I looked it up, and there it was: 1919 catalog, Renu-Life electrode no. 27, "patented, Tonic Satuator, impossible to receive a shock."

Apparently when you hold thirty kilovolt electrodes against your body, you can get zapped in the legs (from your metal chair.) This low-picofarads vacuum electrode attempted to fix that problem, but in the meantime produced fifty KeV x-rays. Good for testing GM counters, without needing to buy any Torbernite ore samples from rock shops on eBay.

PS

It's known that vacuum-filled light bulbs can produce some x-rays when connected to a Tesla Coil output. Modern bulbs with argon/N2 fill will just glow, and cannot support the needed kilovolts. And, their x-ray output usually isn't enough to visibly light a fluorescent screen. But it certainly makes your alpha-window GM counter freak out.

PPS

Here's the very first violet wand, 1905, $4000 in modern USD:

Hmm, the Electrotherapy Museum is no more? All his files gone offline? Someone should offer to host it, long term! Only seven GB, he says.

((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) )))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty

beaty, chem washington edu Research Engineer billb, amasci com UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74 x3-6195 Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700

Reply to
Bill Beaty

df

These machines were claimed to be quack medicine partly because manufacture rs were making outlandish claims, and partly because at the time of their r elease there was no expectation to carry out any large scale efficacy studi es, and they were not done. And there was a profit motive in so claiming. H owever they are very effective for at least some conditions.

The metal coil type electrode is not to avoid shock risk, on the contrary i t is to increase the electrical output. I've always avoided them for the re ason you state. Another I'd avoid is the metal rod 'saturator.'

Shock risk is present with modern electrical diathermy too. As with the old violet ray it is fairly trivial to avoid such risk by not having earthed c onductive objects nearby.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I used to think that below about 15kV there would not be much xray output from a vacuum tube because of the absorbtion by the glass envelope, but maybe a year ago I watched a youtube video where someone turned up the HV slowly and was detecting xrays at only about 5kV from a glass envelope tube. Sadly I can't find the video today. I suppose that most people don't have any detector that is sensitive to photons with

Reply to
Chris Jones