rnally

h flag.

he package

area of

. The

k.***" >>>

Look at the difference between the

nt, with the same copper pour.

(I'm assuming they're measuring to the leads rather than the actual epoxy case, otherwise their lower junction-to-case for the SOT89 wouldn't make sense--it's thicker than an SO-8.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

That's what we don't know and what a datasheet should specify.

Still, that's assumptions and I can't design on assumptions but John has hard data so that's good.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Half a watt should be easy from a SOT89. A little topside copper patch maybe. If you don't have much room, via down to a copper pour on the bottom and/or an inner layer. An isolated inner layer pour will spread heat and dump heat into adjacent planes.

lunatic fringe electronics

Data sheet thermals are generally not to be trusted. When in doubt, experiment.

An 0603 resistor will safely dump half a watt, if you do it right.

lunatic fringe electronics

No space at all, this board will look like the inside of a Tokyo subway during rush hour. After the pushers have squeezed the people in. So it'll have to be a few vias without thermal reliefs to a copper plane inside the board.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

ion to

20PDFS/L79L.pdf

nternally

tach flag.

f the package

ate area of

ing. The

sink.***" >>>>>

^2

mbient, with the

  1. John doesn't have data on your specific SO-8, but the manufacturer has provided specifications for it, in actual application, no assumptions required.

But it's moot--both sources indicate that the SOT89 wins.

  1. There are many application notes for estimating the thermal resistance of a 6cm^2 copper pour--that's not top secret.

z pour:

  1. There are outstanding SO-8 packages built on giant copper slab thermal pads. I've used some. But your example here isn't of that construction.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat