SMT resistor Nonlinearity

Good luck. It seems to be their strategy to control the entire passive components marketplace. They've been buying up companies for the past several years!

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

been thinking about changing an audio cct from through hole resistor to SMT, and had a look at RS components, just to see what was available eg 648 0689, a vishay part D...-CRCW

I didnt like a graph I found, nonlinearity on P3 of the above data sheet. Is this typical of SMT R's. No measurement details are given

(I'm still trying to find a resistor company not owned by Vishay)

martin

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" Gandhi

Reply to
martin griffith

Try

Martin Riddle

What is it you don't like about Vishay? Save me the hell of finding out the hard way?

--
Best Regards,
Mike

"martin griffith" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hello Martin, this is a very interesting datasheet with a lot of information. I have searched for some definitions and found the following paper.

Nonlinearity: A3 = 20*log(U1/E3) [dB] Measurements are according to IEC60440.

Who knows how big U1 is for this measurement? Does anybody have IEC60440 and can look there?

Another bad thing is the current noise in the datasheet. This noise can be bigger than the thermal noise in some cases.

Best Regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

I read in sci.electronics.design that martin griffith wrote (in ) about 'SMT resistor Nonlinearity', on Sun, 6 Mar 2005:

The measurement details are probably in one or more of the standards cited under 'Applicable Specifications' on the last page.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Check out Xicon from Mouser if i remember correctly.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It was trying to get through the distro's for relatvely small quantites of sfernice pots a few years ago, and some stories I heard from Barry Porter (RIP).

martin

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" Gandhi

Reply to
martin griffith

Thanks, found it as well..

martin

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" Gandhi

Reply to
martin griffith

i've been checking Panasonic parts from digikey as well, but they dont spec nonlinearity at the moment

martin

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" Gandhi

Reply to
martin griffith
[...]

Helmut - isn't U1 the amplitude of the fundamental? From the description:

"The harmonic index is defined as the logarithm of the ratio of the fundamental U1 to the 3rd harmonic E3. It is specified in dB"

The amplitude and frequency are probably specified in IEC 60440. I found a web page with a free copy of the update to the spec, "IEC/TR 60440 Ed. 1.0 Cor.1 (Bilingual

1974) Corrigendum 1 - Method of measurement of non-linearity in resistors":

Registration is free. Their main page is

OTOH, maybe John W might have some info.

Regards,

Mike Monett

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:42:57 +0100, martin griffith wroth:

You could measure the non-linearity of a few yourself. If you can't measure it, then why does it concern you?

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

thats what I'm thinking of doing. make a AC driven wheatsone type bridge, with 3 precision resistors and the smt DUT and if the bridge is balanced it should be easy(?) to spot any non linear stuff. That should cancel out any generator distortions shouldnt it?

any other options/methods?

martin

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" Gandhi

Reply to
martin griffith

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 19:58:29 +0100, martin griffith wroth:

Commercial measurement instruments use a high purity 10KHz source to pass current through the resistor (resistor is grounded on one end). There is a low pass filter between the source and the resistor. Next there is a 30KHz filter and a detector. They measure the 30KHz third harmonic which is supposed to be related to the resistor's non-linearity. It's not the best way I can think of, but it's easy to do and if everybody does it the same way, then at least measurements in the spec sheets are somewhat comparable.

and

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

page

(Bilingual

Member Price $48.50 (nothing on Ebay) Jeez, for a document that is over 25 years old and 14 pages long, the first5 are just the PHB stuff

If stuff is really important, they give it away free, PGP, Marx, a bible(select your religion here)

Time to start an IEC-Napster

martin

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" Gandhi

Reply to
martin griffith

For all n, multiply the function by exp(jnx) and integrate over any range in x of 2pi. What could be simpler? (;-)