Marconi_2030-2031-20_Marconi_2030-2031-2032_Signal_Generator_Service_Manual.pdf>

"404 Not found."

Re: SMPS Topologies

In Europe they were often called "ironless transformer" because they
used a small ferrite transformer. IIRC often used to drive LV halogen
lamps or lamp chains but that is probably a market of the past now that
everything goes LED.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: SMPS Topologies

Seems to me you've got 2 separate bits there, a traditional iron psu and an sm voltage regulator.

NT

Re: SMPS Topologies

Kind of looks a bit that way to some extent, I agree. The first bit is
like you would expect to find in a linear supply; the rest is kind of
buck converter style. But I'm looking for a vastly more pithy description
I can google for the precise deets.

Re: SMPS Topologies
On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 17:22:37 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

How about "Conventional transformer-rectifier capacitor-input
unregulated supply followed by some switchers"?

That would probably be a lot more more expensive than buying a UL/CE
MeanWell PFC offline switcher to make your highest regulated DC
voltage, and then maybe some downstream switchers to make other stuff.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: SMPS Topologies

You kind of hit the nail on the head there description-wise, but I was
hoping for something a bit more pithy to search under.

Re: SMPS Topologies
On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 22:38:58 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

OK:

"hybrid"

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: SMPS Topologies

The topology CD describes sounds like something from the late 1960s.

<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kt3Q00iJVU

Re: SMPS Topologies

Tried that, got this: http://tinyurl.com/ya284nks

Re: SMPS Topologies

lol. Hybrid is a wide catch-all term even within electronics.

I don't think it's a topology with its own name. It's just 2 topologies put together due to some perceived advantage(s).

NT

Re: SMPS Topologies
If the regulator is on the secondary side it's just a step down pr sthg...
if the transformer is actively driven there's a few different terms.
push-pull and half-bride being somewhat popular...

Re: SMPS Topologies
Cursitor Doom wrote:

------------------------

** There is no recognised name - it is not a SMPS at all.

 It's a conventional AC to DC supply with switching regulation of the DC.

....  Phil

Re: SMPS Topologies
Hybrid.

These days, "PoL", but that assumes it's on the same board as the load
itself.  And that load usually needs several supplies, not just the one.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: SMPS Topologies

The PSU section of this gennie provides multiple outputs (as you would
expect) and occupies its own board aside from the iron doughnut and two
beefy full wave rectifiers (the latter of which's purpose at this stage
is somewhat unclear) me not having a schematic and all. I get easily
confused without a schematic.

Re: SMPS Topologies

You positive the topology is as you describe and the toroid isn't
actually a flyback transformer?

Could the toroid be something else, like a saturable reactor? They used
to use those in some test equipment PSUs back in the day

Re: SMPS Topologies

It should be fairly obvious that it's a mains transformer, even if the
circuit isn't obvious.

I mean, you can send me the board and I could trace an approximate circuit
for you, but beyond that, it's difficult to give advice that's any more than
extremely general.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: SMPS Topologies

Cheers

Klaus

Re: SMPS Topologies

THanks, Klaus. I'll post some pics of the thing shortly.

Re: SMPS Topologies

Sigh. Can't create a subdirectory for some reason so am having to post
indiviual links:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859641@N02/34892442244/in/dateposted-
public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859641@N02/35564539582/in/dateposted-