SMPS Topologies

The topology CD describes sounds like something from the late 1960s.

Reply to
bitrex

Snowflake?

The last time I handled a supply of that description, its semis had late 80s date codes. (It didn't even use the SG3524 or TL494, but a functionally similar predecessor to them.)

That's antique as SMPS go.

So antique, you can't find web links of them to post. Isn't that interesting? :-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature

Hybrid.

These days, "PoL", but that assumes it's on the same board as the load itself. And that load usually needs several supplies, not just the one.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Yup.

The filtering is fairly easy. What is much tougher is the layout where you need clever tricks to avoid radiating noise. Many design engineers think that the shield will take care of all that but don't realize that radiated noise gets couple back into conducted more right before cables or traces leave the box. For example, into the last CM choke.

Another tricky area are the winding techniques in the ferrite transformer. It pays off to partner with an experienced magnetics company.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Nope. 2007.

Here you go: enjoy...

If anyone can find a schematic for it, that'd be "double-plus good" (as Winston Smith would have put it).

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Tried that, got this:

Cursitor Doom

The PSU section of this gennie provides multiple outputs (as you would expect) and occupies its own board aside from the iron doughnut and two beefy full wave rectifiers (the latter of which's purpose at this stage is somewhat unclear) me not having a schematic and all. I get easily confused without a schematic.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

lol. Hybrid is a wide catch-all term even within electronics.

I don't think it's a topology with its own name. It's just 2 topologies put together due to some perceived advantage(s).

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You positive the topology is as you describe and the toroid isn't actually a flyback transformer?

Could the toroid be something else, like a saturable reactor? They used to use those in some test equipment PSUs back in the day

Reply to
bitrex

That's a signal generator, not a power supply.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

It should be fairly obvious that it's a mains transformer, even if the circuit isn't obvious.

I mean, you can send me the board and I could trace an approximate circuit for you, but beyond that, it's difficult to give advice that's any more than extremely general.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Take a picture of the PCB top and bottom so we can deduce the workings

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

sheet.pdf

The PSU in this particular generator is the one under discussion here.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'm pretty sure it's a just a mains step-down transformer as its size, weight and position within the unit and design strongly suggest that to be the case. Of course without a schematic I can't be 100% sure of everything. Some folks can find their way around boards without a circuit diagram with consummate ease. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. Klaus has kindly suggested I post some pics, so I shall endeavour to do so a bit later today.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

THanks, Klaus. I'll post some pics of the thing shortly.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Sigh. Can't create a subdirectory for some reason so am having to post indiviual links:

public/

public/

public/

public/

public/

public/

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Totally a linear supply.

Reply to
tom

With no pass transistors?? Kind of difficult to say for sure with these closely cropped photos, but I don't see any...

Reply to
Chris

Look again. Look for heat sinks.

Reply to
tom

Nope. All I see is a handful of TO-220 devices. If it were a linear supply I would expect to see a bank of TO-3s such as 2N3055s. I see no such things. Not saying you're totally wrong, there may be the pass transistors mounted elsewhere, of course.

Reply to
Chris