Smoke alarm switch?

Seems that I bought a "kitchen" smoke alarm a few years ago that had a "disable for a few minutes" button. However it was not a long enough timeout, plus the stupid thing beeped periodically to tell it was in this special mode. Have any good reliable circuits been established for disabling a smoke alarm for something like ten minutes with negligible effect on battery life? Thanks.

Reply to
Dave

I hope your insurer is not reading this.

If you use a mechanical timer switch to disconnect the battery, you'll achieve what you want.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

I just open the skylights in the kitchen when there's going to be smoky cooking/searing ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The other option is to not have a smoke detector in or near the kitchen.

Has anyone here done this?

Reply to
Dave

Well, must be nice, but we don't all live in Phoenix.

Reply to
Dave

Pick it up and put it outside the door until the smoke clears.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

There are several issues. First a kitchen smoke alarm is too loud. It goes off too often and I don't want to hear it. Also, it is not easy to remove and reattach them to the ceiling.

Reply to
Dave

--
ISTM that the solution you posted earlier (the one with the alarm
that you could disable momentarily but which beeped every once in a
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Why do you want a smoke alarm in the kitchen?

John

I think that is the basic issue, and what I think I will do is muffle the alarm and mount a well labeled "ON/OFF" switch on the unit. The alternative is to remove the unit from the kitchen.

Reply to
Dave

Maybe now's the time to invest in that backyard propane barbecue grill...

Reply to
onehappymadman

That's where a majority of our cooking is done from just about now until November.

Then it's too cold (~65°F) to stand out there ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I just cooked some steaks for lunch on the outdoor BBQ yesterday. It's around about freezing, so popping out in a short-sleeved shirt isn't an issue. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
[snip]

I haven't worn a jacket in more than a year... except for my trips to Pittsburgh :-(

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

or

Freezing, yesterday, during lunch? What part of the country are you in?

It's in the high 60s/low 70s out here in Sacramento right about now. I'd better go skiing in the Sierra mountains soon before all the good snow is gone...

Reply to
onehappymadman

Not only freezing, but windy, and snow blowing. But is it raining in Sacramento?

greg

Reply to
GregS

Sacramento?

Not raining this week, but was last week.

Sacramento weather forecast:

onehappymadman

If you're burning stuff, turn on the exhaust fan.

Ordinary cooking shouldn't set off an ordinary smoke alarm.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm in Toronto. This has been an extremely mild winter (so far).

Temperature: -1°C Normal: -10°C Record high: +6°C (1990) Record low: -23°C (1963)

Not much snow here (zero on the ground locally). The local ski resorts in Ontario and Western New York state have some (Buffalo got 12" of snow in the last couple of days, and we got 12" of rain).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

d a

for

ble

It's 23F here now (AccuWeather's "RealFeel" is 9F).

Spef? IIRC he's in the South. ;-)

We had a 1/2" last night. Other than that it's gone here too.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
Keith Williams