Smart Meter Comm Protocols

We had a new "smart" electricity meter installed on our building. It communicates two way with the utility via a microwave link. Now we are curious about some of its features.

I know it periodically transmits our usage data. But what are its capabilities for receiving programming or commands from the utility?

For example, can the modulation structure of the transmitted signal be remotely altered in any way, or a test signal be uploaded to confirm correct operation.

Glen Lewis

Reply to
glewis

It might be helpful if you would disclose the maker and model number of your smartmeter. Then, you or I could use Google to find the manufacturers web site which should have a data sheet on the meter.

It depends on the model. The meter cannot pull the plug on your building simply because it doesn't have a contactor big enough to switch 200 amps inside the meter. Instead, there's sometimes a Zigbee

802.15.4 radio that transmits to a controller for load shedding during peak usage. In California, PG&E has not enabled this feature, except for testing. It might be different in your undisclosed area.

If you're looking for information to hack the system, please do your own homework.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

PG&E approved energy monitor devices that will connect to a smart meter via Zigbee: (click on expand_all to see the devices).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

To start off with, I am not interested in hacking anything.

The installed meter is an "i-Credit" model 500, manufactured by Jemena. I have looked and cannot find any details pertaining to my OP which is repeated below:

" ...can the modulation structure of the transmitted signal be remotely altered in any way (by the utility), or a test signal be uploaded to confirm correct operation?"

I refer here to the microwave usage data transmission directed at the street-side concentrating transceivers, and to what degree its signal structure is configurable remotely by the utility.

As I understand, this meter can effect a remotely activated disconnect from the supply. ZigBee is for the HAN and controls cycling of smart appliances. I don't believe it is even enabled yet.

Any further information would be most appreciated.

Glen Lewis

Reply to
glewis

Acutally, I think the i-Credit meter is manufactured by Secure.

The other model in use here is the Landis + Gyr E350.

All distributors use SilverSpring software.

Glen Lewis

Reply to
glewis

So this facility could be utilized repeatedly at any time, and possibly include alteration of signal parameters, within the design limits of the device.

Hmm .. you seem to be intrigued by hacking. Frankly, it is beyond me, and I don't fancy the legal consequences.

I think perhaps I need to be more specific.

Can any of the signal parameters of the data transmission be remotely adjusted on the fly from the utilities headquarters?

For example, could the duty cycle, amplitude, etc. be continuously modulated with a low frequency control or "test" signal?

The meters have a load control function. Could this be similarly modulated.

Since you are curious about my intentions, they relate to the potential ability of the utility to maximize profits by manipulating the meter readings.

Call me suspicious, but the consumer has absolutely no protection against this.

Glen Lewis

Reply to
glewis