smart bulb

global variables?

what YEAR is this???

Reply to
bitrex

Functional programming is all the rage among the kids these days. No mutable state. Or at least as close to none (interacting with the real world usually requires some state)

Reply to
bitrex

I wish that was true. There are some adopting it, but I wouldn't say it is "all the rage". The Haskell community has no desire to reach a mass audience, because they're so special and mass adoption would make them less special, so they wouldn't be able to sit back and sneer and snipe any more, depriving them of their favourite hobby.

A few enlightened folk are trying to blend ideas from other systems, e.g. Elixir is a Ruby-like FP language that runs on the Erlang VM. That has more chance of success.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Dig the stack overflow exploit that was discovered in this WiFi-enabled smart plug:

It runs Linux and unpatched you can get root access without auth and log into a shell and just switch whatever is connected on and off over WiFi

Reply to
bitrex

int content_length, i; char *content_length_str;

/* Certain input data from the incoming TCP/IP packet isn't sanitized before being just dumped into this buffer on the stack so send a lot! */

char post_data_buf[500000];

content_length = 0; content_length_str = getenv("CONTENT_LENGTH");

if(content_length_str) { content_length = strtol(content_length_str, 10); }

memset(post_data_buf, 0, 500000);

for(i=0; i

Reply to
bitrex

If the register that controls the pin direction (input / output) of the IO pins that scan the keypad were to get corrupted, that would do it. Most people don't reinitialise the IO registers except at startup. There is an argument for forcing a reset from time to time, e.g. each time the appliance is used, but that is hard if you also keep the real time clock in software.

If it had been written by real programmers, then it would need a CPU clock frequency higher than the oscillation frequency of the magnetron, and it would still be laggy. Similarly, all-vacuum-tube televisions warm up faster than a modern television can boot up, and the battery life of a modern digital radio is worse than the ones that had separate filament accumulators and HT batteries.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Sounds like the MCU should have been given a finite-state-machine program, but got a rat's-nest instead. Real-time (interrupt driven) software is an art that doesn't have a lot of literature and cirriculum support.

Reply to
whit3rd

OK, that would do it, a flipped port control bit taking out an entire row of a matrix scan of the keypad. Somehow. ESD maybe.

Well, it's easier to poach eggs now. (In a water bath, to slow things down.)

This microwave, an official Amana RadarRange (tm) is quirky as hell, a smart appliance programmed by dumb people. Like the light bulb.

The RadarRange was Raytheon's name for the first microwave oven, introduced in 1947.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

On a sunny day (Fri, 21 Jun 2019 02:50:40 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Using at at work? Could it be some of your pulse experiments upset it?

OTPH what is secure? I wrote some software for the Dlink DCS-900 IP camera many years ago:

and found that I could just read from it without username and password... I contacted them, and got a nice reply asking how I could write that soft.. Replied I used 'snort' (open source network intrusion detection system) looking at what browser send...

They did seem very curious, wanted all my test files, I asked why, never heard from them again. I was a good camera, still using it, but light sensitivity of CMOS sensors has since improved dramatically.

Nothing is really secure if you are motivated, I was motivated because I did not want to run MS windows, and they had no Linux software.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Actually I was taught state machine design including async state machines. I only ever once saw such a state machine, but I could understand it and could have reworked it if needed.

I'm not going to second guess a design I know nothing about. It did it's job with no issues for a couple of decades before needing to be unplugged for a fix. I think that is a pretty good track record.

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C