Small Spot Size Infrared Thermometers

After seeing a bizzillion IR thermometers on E*bay, I quickly assumed they're probably all crap for measuring electronic component temperatures..

So I googeegagagoogled and found:

0.1 inch 2.5mm spot size..Close focus infrared thermometer. ||< that's about 2.5mm. About a 1206 resistor.

Neato...dual laser..Can blind both eyes :P

Stopwatch! I can write down "Circuit blew up at 220C in 10:23 minutes.."

$159 and they say "You won?t find a comparable close focusing IR unit for under $200."

True??? Anybody own one of these? Any good?

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I think the fact they have a NIST certificate is a good sign.

Reply to
miso

Here's what I find odd.. On

Where's the engineer(s) picture? I suppose the IR thermometer design was an outside contract.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Engineers are expendable ;-)

...Jim Thompson

[...]

No way!. The 'normal' one I bought off Ebay is truly the dogs bollocks. I love it :). 'Sweet spot' size may be large (about 1/2", equiv to TO-220 packages) but can scan kit from a couple of foot away and not miss hot spots. Needs a minimum of 12:1 for the aperture ratio. Fluke do one at about

30:1 but costs a fortune.
Reply to
john

How much was it?

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I'll wear a bag over my head for the next project. I'll call myself 'The Unknown Engineer' Based on 'The Unknown Comic'

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada

Reply to
D from BC

You might consider this one: It seems to work well for "component" temperatures and the price is right. Pros: reasonably accurate, results agreed with thermistors when both were available; small; works well up close to components; cheap; battery lasts forever (so far). Cons: emissivity fixed at 0.95.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Yeah. It looks like they are merely distributing an item made elsewhere.

The item, however is nice, and the price is OK, considering that most I have seen do not have point focus, NOR do most have real emissivity settings capacity.

This looks to be a good buy, and the $35 calibration fee is OK too from my past IR experience, which was with an actual IR instrument maker that had devices which were several thousand dollars each.

Most current jobs have a fresnel lens. For this to work, it likely has real optics.

Nice find, I may do some hunting for a better, similar product, but the LCD readout, and the dollar numbers make this one look pretty good.

The emissivity adjustment alone makes it worth it, when I have seen them at this price with less features.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Cool..thanks for the feedback.. I'll probably order one.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I take it back. Upon further examination of the specs, I see that emissivity can only be adjusted from 0.95 up to 1.0 in 0.05 increments.

It seems that it only adjusts in the top few points, unless I am reading it wrong.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

$33.11 Can at Digikey.

Reply to
D from BC

It's worded '0.95 default;adjustable to 1 in 0.05 increments.' Yeah..that's quirky wording. Going from 0.95 to 1..Is that useful?? I'm guessing not,it has to be adjusted lower than 0.95 for bare metals...If it can.. I'll find out..

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada

Reply to
D from BC

They were crossed to show the exact focal point, so they were functional on the 'small spot' device.

Still, the keychain item looks cool.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I get a feeling that it goes from 0.95 to 0.1.

THAT would be useful, and is more akin to a proper instrument.

I am going to contact them. If this is the case, the picture of the guy at the bottom of that page... That guy will get banged for his faulty web spec publishing. :-]

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Oh, they're just a distributor/importer by the looks of it. Buying stuff from China/Taiwan with their name stuck on it, as well as selling Raytek, Cal, Pelican and some other brand-name stuff.

The engineers are Asian.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Oh hell yes! If I didn't already have the little TPI sensor in my bag I'd be seriously tempted. The lasers add at least 20 dB to the credibility rating.

"Let me show you. See, *this* is where we have the heat problem." Dual lasers lance out and pinpoint the offender! Heads nod all around the room. ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Lasers and ...flame graphics on the thermometer! Like:

Oh yeah.. :)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Ah... Everybody is white at Thermoworks.. I think it would be funny if at the bottom of

there was this picture
'Ling and Yang' Mechanical Engineer and Electronics Engineer and then add 'American engineering sucks noodles.' :P

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Thermal imagers are soooo much better.

Reply to