Small-scale BGA soldering - Page 4

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 16:02:07 +1100, Chris Jones

I'd buy one.

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering

upload stl file to http://dirtypcbs.com/store/print3d

it says it'll cost $5.99

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering
Good idea, I couldn't post one for that, and I only had 1 more of them
printed than I think I will eventually lose (I am down to 2 at the
moment), so I don't really want to part with any of mine, sorry.

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering
On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 10:24:07 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

nes

ly about CAD, but the information density is too low and the whiny voice is
 too high. ;)
series on reverse-engineering the iPod Nano display for use in a big instal
lation, he's very sound on the stuff he knows about, he has a nice voice, a
nd he sticks to the topic, unlike Jones who is always editorializing.

TIAs, noise cancellers, and stuff. I might, but it's a big time sink.

Hmm, well I need to make another diode laser video.  I'd guess 1/2 a day
to script and shoot.  And then maybe a few hours editing.  (my videos are

amateurish, you might want something better.)  But in the long run, it's
time saved, 'cause I can point people to the video rather than answering
questions.
I'm assuming your's would be more for advertising?

George H.

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering
Den tirsdag den 17. oktober 2017 kl. 16.24.07 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
:

nes

ly about CAD, but the information density is too low and the whiny voice is
 too high. ;)
series on reverse-engineering the iPod Nano display for use in a big instal
lation, he's very sound on the stuff he knows about, he has a nice voice, a
nd he sticks to the topic, unlike Jones who is always editorializing.

Mike also has shown some off his nifty tips and tricks for making testing

and configuration easier for much of the he's made

TIAs, noise cancellers, and stuff. I might, but it's a big time sink.

what better time to binge on some youtube videos, beats tv anyday

here's a few hours of an interesting repair, https://youtu.be/gb1QMJtwumQ

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering

    I suffered through his tear down of a dirt simple NEC Analog TV
Modulator. Designed and built by NEC, but to hear him tell it, it was
the most complex device ever built. He went on and on about how there
were separate manuals for each sub assembly, which is common in
industrial equipment. I saw a brand new NEC UHF Analog transmitter in
the late '80s and it was nothing to brag about. They had to fly a half
dozen people from the factory to the US to beat on it, until it was
almost stable. They kept tinkering with the bias circuits for the final
tubes, and it kept tripping breakers. It was on Ch 68, just long enough
for them to convince a college to trade their Ch 18 license. They gave
the college the NEZC and relaced the barely year old NEC.

    He harped for at least ten minutes about what some parts might be.
15 seconds on Google showed them to be common as dirt CATV Hybrid
amplifiers that were being used as blocks of RF gain. 75 Ohm in, +24VDC
and 75 Ohm out with 20+ dB of RF gain.

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering

He isn't an RF guy and he is too easily impressed by semirigid and other
UHF construction techniques.  I agree with you that he should not cover
equipment like that until he has a little more experience with it.

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering

Yeah, that whole "off the cuff" thing works better for him than for his
viewers.   It's also a dubious claim--"off the cuff" means that you at
least wrote a couple of lines of notes on your shirt before getting up
on your hind legs, which he doesn't seem to do.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I've done some TDR/TDT tests of microstrip traces passing over a slot
in a ground plane. It doesn't seem to matter.

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering

It looks inductive, but how inductive depends on the slot length and operat
ing frequency. It does matter in the frequency domain--it's a great way to
make an unintentional oscillator or to couple two traces that cross the sam
e slot, since it's like a CM choke.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering

There has been a lot of talk about microstrips that cross ground gaps
on the signal integrity list recently.

- snip -

For help:
snipped-for-privacy@freelists.org with 'help' in the Subject field

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at:

                 http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering

You've said that several times. It doesn't matter, *provided* there
is some other plane covering the slot, or if the slot is short enough
w.r.t. the important wavelength components of the signal, or if you
don't care about signal integrity.

A fast signal on a track running over a real ground plane slot ends
up looking terrible.

Jeroen Belleman

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 22:59:15 +0200, Jeroen Belleman

Well, I made some boards and tested them. Some were 2-side, some had
additional planes.

A slot is shunted by the native FR4 all around, and may additionally
be shunted by other plane layers if present. The cut does make a
slotline resonator, but if its impedance is low compared to the trace
impedance, or if the frequency is high compared to the signal edge,
there's not much excitation of the slot. I saw the FR4 fiberglass
weave more than I saw any effect from a ground plane cut, in TDR.
These are time-domain signals, not sine waves, but a resonant effect
should show up in TDR.

Plane layers are lossy on conventional boards, which probably kills
the slotline Q. The bottom line for me is that I experimented, and
don't worry about it any more. The closest that I get to a slotline is
either a row of via clearances that cut a plane, or a trace crossing
different power pours on a power layer.

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering
On a sunny day (Sun, 15 Oct 2017 10:26:39 -0700) it happened John Larkin

I could melt some Maple Leafs..

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering

in

chould try making gerbers for a bare board and sending it to
http://dirtypcbs.com/store/pcbs and see if they will make it

$98 for 50pcs 100x100mm two layer boards with ENIG

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 13:19:15 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen

We do some protos as pc boards, usually 4 layers, often several
different circuits on one board. But I can Dremel a board in a few
minutes.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering

n:
kin
arkin

sure, I was thinking of it as a cheap way get the gold plated FR4 cheap

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 14:39:16 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Oh, OK. 50 pieces is a lot of area. I always shear my boards up into
smaller bits than 100x100.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering
On a sunny day (Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:34:15 -0700) it happened John Larkin

120 ps is only about 8 GHz

I did not design this, but, lessons te be learned:
 http://panteltje.com/pub/5_dollar_LNB_PCB_IMG_3582.GIF

Top left:     8 to 12 GHz preamp
Bottom right: 2 oscillators (for different bands)
Top middle:   mixer, IF filter
Top right:    IF amp

The issue now is to modify those oscillators by filing one of those resonators.
to get it to work in the HAM ATV band...

Price was good....

Wonder what soft they used to design those band filters.

BTW there is a 10 GHz heterodyne scope hidden there I would think...

Re: Small-scale BGA soldering
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 08:33:28 GMT, Jan Panteltje

More like 3.

lunatic fringe electronics

Site Timeline