small low-capacitance Schottky diodes

Getting rid of dead time sounds promising. Instead of using the MOSFETs common source like nearly everyone else what about using them as source followers? Link the P and N gates and drive from something that swings Vgs(on) volts above and below the rails. Topologically is the same but only one gate drive is needed with no dead time issues and as John Larkin once pointed out shoot-through current is eliminated.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

At turn-off, I mean.

Depends on carrier lifetime in the material, which maybe isn't so bad. In which case maybe it's kind of a shame that no one makes GaAs or GaN BJTs (or HBTs), because storage time depends on that.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature

Indeed!

Downsides:

- You need gate drive beyond the rails (including transients)

- PCH suck

Bootstrap NCH drivers are pervasive because PCH is about 2-3 times worse performance than NCH. If you can solve a problem with a slightly more complicated IC and no PCH, you're very likely to come out ahead in cost, size, efficiency and so on.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

?In

or

So does beta, which is why gold-doped transistors (as used in regular TTL) suck lemons.

Plus hole mobility in III-V materials is less than in silicon, so you don't gain anything.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

I haven't seen that, either. No sign of storage.

Microwave MMICS are usually HBT Darlingtons, InGaP or something. I've used them as pulse amplifiers and they are pretty fast.

Most of the common MMICS are nothing but a Darlington with a collector-base resistor inside. That's usable as a transistor.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Please abide by group standards and remain rigidly on topic.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

High level injection comes to the rescue. ;)

Yeah. He wrote an almost-unreadable book on safe driving, then (iirc) crashed into a tree with no seat belt on. A pity--we lost a lot of good tech people in 2011: Jim Williams, Bob Pease, and my old friend and mentor Tony Siegman.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I discovered the BAT165 in a tiny SOD-363 package. 0.44V at 750mA and only 8.4 pF capacitance at 10V. Tried it on the 1W bipolar converter (5V to +/-15V) in my MPX-16H today, worked OK. Will include some in my next shipment to Rob for his RIS-767 tests.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

One of the (soon EOL) Avago phemts can be a 1 amp, 1 pF diode.

 Click to see the full signature