small DC motor - attachment to spindle?

I have a small dc motor (think slot car), being used as a door actuator for the door locks on my car.

It has an attachment on the 20mm long spindle. I've looked and looked, pro dded, pulled (lol), but can't figure a way to remove this attachment so I c an replace the motor. I cannot see where there might be a pin, or set screw . It's driving me just a little crazy. Could it be that its pressure fit?

Is there a way to post pictures in this group?

Ideas?

Reply to
Rob N

It's probably a press fit. Your best bet would probably be to pull the motor straight off of the spindle, and then when that just pulls the shaft out of the motor you'll have a couple of inches of shaft to grab onto.

This is an electronics design group; you might have much better luck with a car mechanics' group. But you're welcome to try here.

No, you can't post pictures. Post it on Google Drive or Photobucket or some other file sharing site, then post a link.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

It might be a pressure (interference) fit.

Or, it might use a fixturing adhesive, such as Loctite.

In either case, if you can (safely) heat the attachment, while keeping the spindle cool, it may release more easily. Or, if the spindle shaft peeks out of the far side of the attachment, you might be able to use a small bearing puller.

Reply to
Dave Platt

I'm thinking some heat too. 300f if the handle is Al or something and the spindle is steel. But usually once you seperate a press fit, it's not longer a press fit even when using a puller ( unless its automotive).

Martin Riddle

Thanks to Tim, and the others that have responded. The attachment has tiny plastic gears that would melt if too much heat were applied. More and mor e I believe its a press-fit and will attempt to pull it off. Just wanted t o get some outside perspective. I apologize if I've posted to the wrong gr oup.

My thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob N

Check out rec.crafts.metalworking