Simple pulse stretcher

Hi guys, I need a little digital pulse stretcher. I've got pulses that are 5ns to 25ns in width, and I'd like to bump them all up to all be at least 10ns. I've got a few spare 74HC14 inverters. I was thinking of just feeding one through a diode followed by an R/C to ground. Any other ways? There might be an extra AND gate too. (not my circuit so I'm not quite sure.)

Thanks

George H. (and who ordered the second t in stretcher)

Reply to
George Herold

Isn't 10ns width just a wee-bit tight for 74HC parts? ...Jim Thompson

The diode thing is what I usually do. But 10nsec through a 74HC14? Now that's a strrrrretch.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

    ...Jim Thompson
      |    mens     |
    |     et      |

OK, maybe I should stretch to 20 ns.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

OK thanks, I'll do 20ns then.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Still a bit of a stretch but if you need pulses this short there are faster versions of the HC14.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Why not use a one-shot? HC123 or the faster Tiny version of same, SN74LVC1G123.

The other way is to set a D-flop that resets itself. That can be a lot faster.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

...Jim Thompson

What I was driving at was how can the 74HC do the stretch in the first place... reliably. Though I think I possibly see a way. ...Jim Thompson

Something like this:

You got the idea.

/* Placeholder for banal comments

*/

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Designs

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Yeah I was thinking of something like that too. The diode thing was an easy 'hack' and seems to be working just fine. (I stuck in 10k and 10pF and have about a 50ns minimum pulse.) Life is good.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I think that can double-glitch the output if you tease the input width just right.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"Pulse stretcher" implies that the leading edge of the source pulse
should be presented at the input of the load simultaneously with its
generation, and that its fall should occur after the desired delay.

The former is, of course, unrealizable, while the latter is easy.

How much delay can you tolerate between the generation of the leading
edge of the source pulse and its presentation to the load?
Reply to
John Fields

The diode+RC thing is perfectly feasible with an HC14, likely at 20 ns out and certainly at 30.

A bit of inductance in series with the R would be interesting.

Here's a variation on Vlad's circuit:

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Diode plus Schmitt is the better solution. The main reason is that doing it with piped-in gates relies on their prop delays. I have seen that blow up in production when people did it. All it takes is one or more manufacturers improving a semiconductor process, things become faster, suddenly the fix ain't working no more. Or only sometimes. Datasheets typically do not specify a guaranteed lower limit on prop delay. For example, there is no entry for it in the "min" column for the 74HC14 from TI:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Just make sure the schottky has low c, a couple of pF or less.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You've still got the initial gate delay from input to output, and the
prop delay through the buffers isn't exactly precise...
Reply to
John Fields

That's pretty much unavoidable. I doubt that it matters to George.

and the

How do you know that? I didn't specify the parts, other than max PD. They could be implemented as a tapped delay line, passive or silicon. Or one could trim Vcc to tweak prop delay. There are lots of possibilities.

Post something better.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

and

--
Maybe not, but I posted a message to him asking for clarification,
just to resolve the issue.

You, on the other hand, opted to second-guess him and subjugate him to
your will.
Reply to
John Fields

and

could trim >Vcc to tweak prop delay. There are lots of possibilities.

What a sad old dork.