Simple half-bridge switcher 25VDC-75VAC 20kHz+ 90 to 500+ watts

I have built a prototype of a half-bridge switching supply using a PIC16F1825, an IRS2001 driver, and a transformer that I wound using the core, bobbin, and wire from a computer power supply probably about 500 watts. The core is 47x47x12mm and N27 ferrite. Here is an image of the LTSpice simulation and output waveform:

And here is a scope shot of the output with 25 VDC and 3.51 amps input, on a

50 ohm WW power resistor. The output voltage reads 67.9 VRMS on my Fluke 45, so that comes to 87.75W input and 90.6W output.

Of course that can't be right, and I know that some components are getting hot, like the current measuring 0.1 ohm resistor, the 180uF bus capacitor, and the MOSFETs to some degree. But the transformer core and windings did not get even barely warm. This is about the most I can get from my lab supply, so to test it further I will need to hook it up to a 48 VDC supply (it's intended for 4x12V SLA batteries), and I hope to be able to connect a FWB and capacitor to the output to get about 250 VDC.

The core is similar to an ETD49-25-16:

I'm not sure if this core will be sufficient to reach my goal of 500 watts or more, but I think it is pretty close. Actually I have purchased some larger cores and bobbins that I think should be able to handle about

1000 watts:

My next steps will be to see how this transformer works on 48VDC, open circuit to start with, and then under load. I expect about 150 VAC or

300 Vp-p, so I would need a doubler to get the 250-300 VDC I want. But I could also rewind the transformer to get twice the output voltage, or I could use two of these with outputs in series. And I also want to try upping the frequency, which should get me higher voltage and more power. But the N27 is characterized at 25kHz, while N87 is at 100kHz.

I had also tried simulations of topologies that used two capacitors across the bus with the transformer primary from the half-bridge to the center tap, and another that used three capacitors, with what seems to be a superfluous capacitor in series with the transformer. But that may be for a resonant

design. The two capacitors across the supply may allow lower voltage ratings to be used, and also would supply high current high frequency supply that is now causing high ripple and losses in the electrolytic. It is a high ripple current low ESR type, but certainly not adequate for the higher power I want.

I have several 20 uF 100 VAC polypropylene capacitors I got on eBay, and

they seem to have excellent characteristics. I may order more while they are still available for just a few dollars each. Similar capacitors are $25 each from Mouser:

BTW, Tim Williams, if you are reading this, I have ordered your book from Amazon:

ie=UTF8&psc=1

TIA for any comments and suggestions,

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

n a

45,
,

se

is

ap,

us

ngs

is

le

The version with 3 caps, two on the supply and one in series with the tap, is less sensitive to voltage variations on the supply. (if you run with 50% duty cycle PWM). The single capacitor solution can lead to stair case satu ration of the transformer, since the transient response steady state takes many cycles to complete and the transformer may be saturated before it sett les

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Assuming the resistor is noninductive, which it isn't -- they're usually dropping off in the low MHz, which would lop off a few harmonics worth of power, might be enough to account for it.

If you have a current transformer or probe, you can set the scope to multiply volts and amps, and measure the average of the math signal. Beware of delay or phase shift on the probes though: not so big a deal for a resistor, but very important around reactive loads (e.g., measuring the real power in a resonant tank, where the phase shift is already very nearly 90 degrees; an extra degree and it can read negative!).

Umm... FWB and *inductor* and capacitor... right?

If the wire fits, you're already okay: it doesn't appear to be saturating, so you can run this frequency and voltage all day long (on however many turns are on there). You just need enough wire to handle the current without melting.

You certainly don't want to put a cap-input doubler on there, but there is such a thing as a choke-input doubler. You need four diodes, two chokes and two caps. You already lose half Vpp in rectification (half wave rect. each side, one positive, one negative), so it doesn't get you anything over a FWB.

Alternately, you can put the choke on the primary side, but this is more difficult to arrange on a half bridge. Full bridge (current sourced inverter) and PP (ala Royer oscillator) are in semi-common use. But then you need an extra front end chopper to generate the constant current.

Beware also, as turns go up, so does parasitic capacitance, and thus turn-on transients (primary current spikes, secondary voltage spikes). This can be improved with winding design (optimal sectioning), and addressed with snubbers (but not really fixed).

N27 is a lowish frequency material, so just keep the Bmax lower than for N87. I would think in that size, 0.2T would be fine for N87, maybe 0.1T for N27, should run plenty cool. Notice BTW that means doubling the number of turns.

This is the most common, and the most effective.

Actually that's a lie. For a decade or two, the three-cap layout dominated AT and ATX power supplies. And by quantity, that's up there in the millions. But the reason is, the filter caps were already split because of voltage doubling (the 120/240V switch wires the circuit for full wave doubling at 120, or regular FWB at 240); for the purposes of the circuit, it's a +/-160V supply, so they only needed a 1uF (typically) to "ground" (the center tap between them).

But when the supply isn't already split, you generally want to split it with equal capacitance above and below.

Ah, 935Cs, good stuff, no problems there. Do mind the stray inductance: they're simply long, so there's nothing you can do about the first

10-20nH. Which can be advantageous, but important to keep in mind regardless.

I don't know if that particular Tim reads this newsgroup, but if he did I'm sure he'd appreciate it. ;)

Umm... this:

is rather old, so I'm sure half the links have died, and all the search rankings have changed. But kind of amusing nonetheless.

We're no John Smith, but it's still a pretty common name. Not sure if there's any correlation to electronics, but it seems to me I've already met a Jim Williams (service engineer, retired), not the more famous (and recently passed) one; a few other Tims (not to mention the other Tim W. here), and a few other Williamses.

OTOH, Paul is a pretty common name, but I would guess there aren't many Schoens outside Europe. :)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

You must be using the Larkin method of computing efficiency ?>:-}

...Jim Thompson

Once an asshole, always an asshole. Or, as you age, even worse.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

input,

my

usually

of

It very well could be reactive at 20kHz, so the V*A would be more than the actual power. I just measured it to be 114.9 uH at 10kHz, or about 15 ohms reactive at 20kHz. That makes it about 52 ohms impedance. Thus the output is about 88.3 watts but that is still 100.6% efficiency. The simulation shows about 90%. From the heat I detect I would estimate about 5 watts of losses or about 94%. The best measure of efficiency will be when I add a rectifier bridge, capacitor, and inductor. I may need to use SiC Shottky diodes like these:

I don't have such a probe and my scope does not have those math functions.

bus

it

Yup. Something like this:

purchased

saturating,

I think the advantage of a FWCT is two versus four diodes, which makes a big difference with expensive SiC devices, and it has less forward drop losses, but I think it requires higher voltage devices for the same DC output. However, transients can also produce higher voltage with a FWB, as shown

here:

more

current.

That's too much for this design. I'm looking for something inexpensive and reasonably efficient. 90-95% would be fine.

I'll see if it saturates at 48 VDC. I could easily go to 30 or 40 kHz. This transformer was mostly a proof of concept and some practice in winding. The primary has four conductors in parallel. The entire tranny was salvaged from a trashed computer PSU.

the

I'll have to try simulations with two 20 uF capacitors in series or in parallel and see what works better. The criteria is the current through each capacitor.

inductance:

These are only similar. The actual devices are ASC USS5, which are special order surplus:

I made an offer of $1.25 each for 50 pieces and it was accepted. They seem to be really awesome: C: 20.315 uF D: 0.0008 Z: 0.785 ohms at 10 kHz L: -12.49 uH

ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oops! I thought you mentioned a book you wrote? Oh, well, hopefully it will be good reading. :)

search

already

(and

many

When I was a kid the only Schoens in the phone book were my father, uncle, and grandparents. When I entered Johns Hopkins, there was a young woman in their directory who was a Schoen, but she was Jewish and from the DC area. I dated her but it didn't go anywhere. Later, as I was in line at the JHU bookstore, I watched the fellow in front of me sign his name on a check:

Paul E. Schoen! I was so floored that I just watched him walk off and I never met him. But I did Google him and he was/is an engineer working on

carbon nanotubes and such.

Paul E. Schoen US Naval Research Laboratory Publications: 66 | Citations: 256 Fields: Polymer Materials, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, Polymer Chemistry View FAQ about top research areas and Fields of study

Collaborated with 163 co-authors from 1976 to 2006 | Cited by 751 authors

I actually called and talked to him some time ago. He said he knew of other Paul Schoens as well, and said one of them was a poet. Actually, that would be yours truly:

Whew! Long post :0

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

That seems awfully high, I guess that's series equivalent? I bet the measurement changes with frequency. I would guess an average 50 ohm 100W tubular resistor to be in the range of 5-10uH by construction. It isn't wound with copper, is it? (Or... perhaps constantan?)

Yeah, downside is you need $20 of them. They also have higher voltage drop on account of the high internal resistance. It might be the difference between needing a heatsink (or needing a bigger one), which could be worthwhile in the end. But I would recommend this more if it were at, say, 200kHz rather than 20, where the switching and recovery losses will be problems. Down here anything will do (e.g., UF5407?).

Well, you'll have to *rectify* that situation then, huh!?

..Which is what you're planning on..

But really, a current probe is easy: if you have some usefully sized ferrite toroids (say FT87-W or better), put down a hundred turns and hook it to a 1 ohm resistor. Bam, 100:1 current probe: 0.01 trans-ohms (100A load = 1V measured). It'll be good out to a few megs, where you get squigglies from resonant modes.

Only downside is it's not clamp-on, but that's what soldering irons are for.

Speaking of capacitance, might not hurt to have that inductor sectioned as well -- I wound this for a class D tube amplifier:

Of course, 300V, 0.1A and 120kHz is much more demanding in that regard than 300V, 1.6A and 20kHz, so use your judgement to decide how much it needs to be.

Offhand, I'm guessing if you go for off-the-shelf parts, you'll have a hard time finding a single 10mH ~2A choke, in which case that takes care of itself -- put a bunch in series and you're fine by default.

At this voltage and impedance, I'd be concerned that making a bigger winding would lead to even higher voltage spikes. You get less coupling (there's more winding to interleave, and both halves should be interleaved with each other, and with the primary!), and you waste slightly more copper (since each half of the secondary is used 1/2 the time, the RMS is

1/sqrt(2) the average output, so you waste (1 - 1/sqrt(2)) x 100% worth of copper).

FWCT was of course massively popular back in the day, but tube rects were expensive. Like, a few bucks. Which says something about how cheap transformers were to wind. (Imagine if we could purchase transformer variants for less than the cost of diodes! Well, if you're trying to avoid the schottky FWB, I suppose that would still be true, eh?)

Tim