simple current limiters

Never mind, I'm sure you meant well anyway.

Cursitor Doom

That's about 15 more parts than I had in mind.

And those have a lot of voltage drop.

lunatic fringe electronics

I was thinking the (fig)1.

True. I still have to try the switching variant. If it works, it could be usefull at driving Leds and so on.

Reply to
LM

John, you outlined a need for a 5V source that pegs at 5V, despite currents to 100mA, or more, and can withstand abuse and shorts, etc., and is small and simple. There's only one true answer to that: an 120mR Ron MOSFET, with an active current-sense limit shutoff:

switches, in sot-23-5 packages, $0.75 each. FPF2125. A single 0603 resistor programs shutoff current, 0.15 to 1.5 amps. Just leave it on all the time, and use it as a protected low-voltage-drop voltage source.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The 2125 looks good: it current limits and then thermal cycles. It should be able to pull up a pretty big capacitive load.

lunatic fringe electronics

So, connect the base of a PNP to the +5, and the emitter through a 130 ohm half watt resistor to +12V. The customer has a few dozen milliamps of +5 to play with, and probably won't burn anything up. For a bit better efficiency, a 1k base resistor might save a bit of heat when the customer isn't drawing power.

Fir higher current, there's gizmos intended for LED ballast (AMC7135) with current regulation, thermal limiting, and the wrong polarity for a positive-ground power supply.

Reply to
whit3rd

resitor goes from adj to out, output is taken from adj.

You'll probably find that circuit in the datasheet for those parts

Jasen Betts
5v e fuse

mark

Reply to
makolber

I don't have +12V. If I did, it would be trivial to make a current-limited +5.

Your thing makes about +5.7 and wastes a lot of power.

lunatic fringe electronics

That's nice in an all-5V system; needs just the Iset resistor, like the FPF2125.

I'm using its big sibling, TPS26600, in a 48-volt application, but it needs a lot of passives around it.

lunatic fringe electronics

A PNP with emitter to +5 and resistor from base to GND can sort-of-work, beta-limited output current.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The base bias can be moved, either to generate 5.0V or 8.0V (in the latter case, the customer can regulate to +5 at his end). The current is intended to be low, and the power donation is for a worthy cause. Heck, everything electric that isn't a heater, 'wastes' its power input, eventually.

The old NIM power system was wonderful to work with: well-regulated accurate +/- 24V, +/- 12V, and high current available at 6V. There was never any need to wish for better power support. When you make +5-only designs, it's like painting yourself into a corner.

Reply to
whit3rd

we use some FPF2702 to drive solenoid valves in a 24V system, though the current limit isn't terrible accurate

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

National once sold a controlled-beta transistor to do just that. One would have to consider power dissipation, so a tiny part wouldn't work.

I have done low-dropout beta-limited current sources to drive bandgap references, where a 4:1 current spread wouldn't matter. The BCX71 is sold in pretty tight beta bins.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

How much voltage drop is this device allowed?

Are you trying to control a load fault, or a failure of the source which perhaps goes over-voltage?

If the latter... how much "pop-up" voltage tolerance? ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Understanding is a fountain of life to one who has it, But the instruction of fools is folly. Proverbs 16:22

We are sending some of our +5 out to a customer circuit. I'd say that we can lose a couple of tenths of volt.

A customer short to ground.

Zero. A series switch shouldn't overshoot if the customer load un-shorts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

OK. Any set/reset method preferences? ...Jim Thompson

      Understanding is a fountain of life to one who has it,
      But the instruction of fools is folly.  Proverbs 16:22

w=1

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It should recover whenever it can. A current limit with thermal cycling looks good. That pulls up loads, including capacitive loads.