Signal + Power cable

I need a 5 or 6-conductor copper cable with 2 power wires of around 14-16AWG and the rest data lines driving uC inputs(so around 22-30AWG). Are such combinations of power and data cables readily available or do they have to be custom made?? (Talking distances of around 6'-10')

Reply to
Jeffery Tomas

Probably best to talk to specialty cable maker.

Maybe

You haven't stated your termination, connectors or shielding requirements.

Jon

"Jeffery Tomas" wrote in news:jg7fv7$tcn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

See if you can work with VGA cable, a nice collection of shielded and non-shielded wires.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Jeffery Tomas explained :

If the Power is Mains AC you are probably violating whatever code you are under running signal and power together.

--
John G
Reply to

I forgot to mention that it is around 4-6V DC and I don't need any termination(although some small connector would be nice it is not that important. I was thinking of either 5 or 7 pin DIN's).

Reply to
Jeffery Tomas

I suppose I could use several of the connectors for power... probably a bit of a waste but might be a temporary solution until I find something better.

Reply to
Jeffery Tomas

I've ssen cables like this in some encoders and resolvers. The thicker wires were for power, thinner twisted pairs for signal. I think about 0.75mm^2 and 0.22mm^2 in the cable I've seen.

Might be cheaper and easier to get if you can combine wires for more cross section or use higher voltage/lower current for power transfer.

--
Mikko
Reply to

I'm assuming that, by power, you mean low voltage DC. Mains would not be permissible.

Such cables are available. Look for "encoder cables". They are usually horribly expensive, made for service in industrial plant where repetitive flexing happens. Expect to pay a couple of hundred bucks for a reel.

Alpha Wire is a manufacturer that comes to mind.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

border1.nntp.dca3.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca3.giganews.com!border4.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!newsfeed.kamp.net!newsfeed.kamp.net!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!mx04.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail

The description sounds like the cable used for antenna rotators which usually has two #16 and 5 #122 conductors . You can find it in Amateur Radio stores like Ham Radio Outlet. Ken, KO6NO

Reply to
Ken Fowler

Take a look at Belden's Control Cable line and see if anything will work.

Michael A. Terrell

14-16AWG=20

to=20

I suppose you could try Belden 5284 and the like. Might be an issue getting that small a length.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

14-16AWG=20

such=20

have to be=20

Not necessarily, the NEC does provide for hybrid cables. I expect that other relevant codes do as well.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk