short time high current test

Dear Friends, I am manufacturing terminal blocks. I am willing to design test equipment for "short time withstand current" test that a terminal block shall be capable of withstanding for 1 second current which corresponds to 120 A/ mm=B2 of its rated cross-section. As I produce terminal blocks with maximum 150 mm=B2 cross-section so the concerning test apparatus should be capable of supplying maximum 18000 A for 1 s. Kindly let me know a basic idea to start my project =20 Best regards, Hamidreza

Reply to
hamid_shgnfr

Seems like a spot welder should do the trick. Some year ago I certified a spot welder which carried 50K Amperes for 12 cycles of 50 Hz line. It shut down all iodine lights in the hangar it was installed in on every shot till a special high voltage to 3 phase transformer was installed for feeding it. ( Don't recall if it could continue for 50 cycles)

Happy hunting.

Stanislaw Slack user from Ulladulla.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

google for "current injection testing"

Reply to
budgie

Get a large toroidal transformer, with a suitably large hole in the middle. something like a giant audio transformer might do; if I were doing it I would use one of my 4kVA variacs, after I ripped out the middle portion.

A single turn thru the center will allow for many, many amps when it is shorted.

drive the toroid with a variac, and measure the current with a (big) clip-on ammeter.

I have done this for 6,000A. At 18kA you will need a lot of copper, and keep the loop SHORT.

HTH

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Best regards, Hamidreza

This is very similar to high current primary injection testing for circuit breakers. I have designed and/or worked on many AC and some DC test sets which would perform the test you require. The voltage you need for this current will determine what sort of transformer you need, and this will depend on the overall impedance of the load, which will be the terminal block itself and the wire used with it.

As others have posted, a toroidal transformer with one or two turns of heavy wire or copper bus is a good start. You can easily get 1000 amps continuous at about 1 volt from a 1 kVA toroid with two turns of #4-0 welding cable. You can use this to determine the impedance of the load, by applying the 1000 amps and reading the voltage.

Next, you will need to figure what it will take to get the 18,000 amperes you require. You will need 18 times the voltage you determined for 1000 amps, and the transformer will have to be able to put out 18 times the current. Most high ratio transformers have an internal impedance of 3% to

10%. A 10% impedance transformer will put out about 10 times its normal rating into a short. A 3% unit will give about 30x. The transformer can safely generate such high currents for a short duration, followed by a period of cooling, which is known as a duty cycle. This is usually based on the square of the overload current, and a 10x output would require a 1% duty cycle. One second ON, followed by about two minutes of cooling should be OK. For breaker testing, the 10x rating is usually for about 0.1 seconds (for instantaneous trip), and 0.5 seconds for short time at about 5x.

From my experience, you will probably need a test set that is rated at about 2000 amperes continuous with at least 10 volts output to get 18,000 amperes into any sort of wire and terminal block. We usually use bus bar for testing beyond about 5,000 amperes. A 20 kVA test set like this will weigh about 500 pounds and will be about the size of a small desk.

One of the suggestions to use a DC welder is a very good alternative. High power spot welders are available fairly cheaply on eBay and other surplus outlets. They use high frequency (about 1000-2000 Hz) to drive the output transformer and diodes, so it can be 20 or 30 times smaller and lighter than a 60 Hz AC tester. Also, DC eliminates most of the inductance limitations, although you need to monitor the current with a storage scope or a specially designed instrument to make sure the rise and fall time is not significant. For one second, it should be minimal.

The actual measurement poses another problem by adding more impedance (if you use a shunt or iron core CT). A Rogowski coil or Hall effect device will provide minimal extra burden but the circuitry becomes more complex.

There is more information on this technology on my website

If you would like to purchase or rent a test set which will do just what you need, please see
I'm willing to help if you want to make your own test set from surplus parts. I would need more complete specifications on accuracy and load configuration, however.

Good luck,

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen