shipping, receiving

I'm continually astounded by how many big companies are brutalized by their own shipping and receiving departments. Things are lost, in limbo, in quarantine in Warehouse 99 until people sign off (really!), delayed for days and weeks.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Acquisitions make that much worse. One Customer took four months to order some parts for a gizmo I'm building for them. The last bit is supposedly coming tomorrow.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, after an acquisition all the part numbers change. If you ship under the wrong customer PN, it may get bounced. Timing is everything.

DGMS on Purchasing.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Nah- that's a bunch of bull. It's one of those JIT delaying tactics, 100% of everything they tell you is lies, most people lie for a living, it's all they know how to do. Tell them to stfu.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Seriously, how naive are you? Four months is a bit out there. The delay is most likely purposeful sabotage of the project for one end or another. Most businesses in US are infested with egoistic snakes who will do anything to gratify or empower themselves regardless of the ultimate costs to the grea ter enterprise.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Seriously, what in the world do you know about it? You have so many opinions, and so high an opinion of them, that you might want to do a bit of a cleanup so you can actually learn anything.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Or more likely, by delaying your aspect of the project, they can push themselves off the critical path, so that they're under less pressure, and/or don't take the blame for whatever it is being late.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I don't mind being the pacing item in a big project. Sometimes people tell me that our role is to be their pacing item. We don't mind being blamed, as long as we get paid.

But the big companies are mostly hurting themselves with their insane purchasing and shipping/receiving operations. On Friday I got a panic call, about a CE test being held up, and I fixed it with a firmware change. Got four eproms into our shipping dept on time, and they arrived at (familiar customer name) on Monday morning. And were efficiently lost. We'll ship another set tomorrow.

When things really matter, we ship to people's home address. We can't get paid, but civilization advances.

Precision electronic instrumentation

On a sunny day (Wed, 05 Mar 2014 16:46:27 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Thing from China not arrived for long time, I open case with ebay, ask seller for tracking code. seller sends picture of 'parcel' as he put it in the 'mail', it shows China send to PO box in Sweden..... Previous came via Switserland. He says: "Maybe system malfunctioned". :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

...At least it is THEIR nickel, and patently obvious WHERE the delay(s) were created...

Reply to
Robert Baer

seller sends picture of 'parcel' as he put it in the 'mail',

I've had good luck getting things from China, but I have to admit I lean towards Hong Kong, but as shipping changes from China proper, I could go with them. The Chinese are smart enough to make shipping nearly free, reasoning that the taxes they (the guv) will collect from a robust economy will be much larger than the shipping cost for the products. Sorta like the highway system.

John's comment about big companies brutalized by their shipping departments - I just spent two hours trying to get a light bulb from Philips, a huge company. NONE of the 10 people I talked with had any idea what it was, nor had any idea how to find it, or who in the company sold it.

I mention this generically to point out what is "management." These fu's are why we have the "science" of management. Certainly a company CEO ought to order products in stealth to see how things are working.

Certainly HK and Singapore are managing their economies better and that is why they have a per capita income much higher than the US. Even an authoritarian regime is better overall than a failed democracy. I met one of the ruling committee from Singapore. (at Comdex) Singapore is run by engineers. He had a ranch at Vail, and the US is seen as a nice place to live, if not work. Oh, and he got there not by politics but by designing the original sound systems for PC's.

George Orwell said it: "Dogs vs. horses."

Has anyone used Ali Baba much here? JB

Reply to
haiticare2011

On a sunny day (Thu, 6 Mar 2014 04:15:36 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Hongkong is some frontend with junk. China is getting worse or I have been lucky before.. I have had defective chips, dangerous goods, things that are totally different from what they advertize... The best bet is some small companies deep in China, that seems still OK. I try to avoid Hongkong these days. Just ordered some chips from the US.

I have have worked at Philips on occasions, although long time ago. There are internal struggles.. Was offered a job in Eindhoven lab... Did not pay enough. That in itself got my boss to be in a fight with the personal department. For a lightbulb? Sometimes google is better than the internal searches. But getting _one_ lightbulb from them will be difficult I suppose, they will refer you to retailers.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yup. Turned out to be a good thing for me--I'm pretty fully committed right now, and if I'd had that bit of schedule on my shoulders, things would have been really nuts. One of those "150% effort" deals.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

towards

m.

larger

ts -

mpany.

idea

are

order

s why

ian

ad

Oh,

ems

Well, not a lot, but some. My wife is starting a children's clothes shop, a nd I have done some purchases using Alibaba. Some of them request MOQ of se veral thousands, but that's ok, since pricing is really low.

Sofar experiences are good. Pretty quick response from the sellers, disclos ing tracking numbers etc. I contacted several, and the majority responded. When told, that the business went to another seller, they even tried to neg otiate pricing to be the "winning" seller on the next purchase

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I often see ads for a new product, with the company main web site link. When I contact the company, it's not unusual to find that nobody there has heard of the product.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Sounds like a nightmare. Do they handle getting the textile quotas and compliant garment labels?

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I can smell the sabotage from a million miles away. Sounds like a bunch of dead enders already on someone else's payroll or taking bribes from a competitor or speculator...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I've never had anything lost by our receiving department but several times the vendor hasn't been paid. Management has to sign off on all receivables and that link is often broken. ...like my manager even knows what I've ordered (he approves everything).

Ship an empty box, slow boat, to the company address to fool their receiving department. Put a datasheet in it, if you think they need something to "receive".

Reply to
krw

Nah, you just think everyone is like you.

Reply to
krw

I've almost finished reading "Poorly made in China: an insider's account of the tactics behind China's production game" P. Midler

Very enlightening and entertaining too... A must read.

--
Thanks,
Fred.