Servo, kinda

A motor & geartrain moves to a certain position where a switch switches it off. Thus wanted position is reached. But what are such mechanisms called? Servos, or something more basic?

NT

Re: Servo, kinda
Simply "limit switch".

The control theory equivalent I suppose would be hysteretic control, except
it stops in one cycle without integrating an error and oscillating
continuously (monostable, not astable).  The error band (how far it
overshoots the threshold) will be comparable to the ripple of such a
control.

(It would be astable if the switch caused the motor to reverse, rather than
stop completely.  Then you could imagine sliding the switch around, and
having the drive train follow its position.)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: Servo, kinda

Generally if it has a fixed target point it's a regulator, but if you can
move the target point around it's a servo.  So if there's not a knob or a
slider to move the switch, it's not a servo (a means for a maintenance
guy to move it doesn't count).

However: people will look at you strangely if you call it a regulator,
unless you preface your statement with "in theory...".  Just call it a
limit switch, as the other Tim has suggested.

--
Tim Wescott
Re: Servo, kinda

Just what I needed to know, thank you.

NT

Re: Servo, kinda

Parking switch? Very common on windscreen wiper motors!

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

quadrature incremental encoder.
Absolute gray encoder.
optiocal, inductive, magnetic, capacitive or mechanical switch.

potentiometer, inductive linear output senser..

Current load sensing from mechanical stop/Jam.

 Windshield wiper motors for the most part normally use a
reciprocating connecting rod from an orbital drive, mostly of the wheel
type with offset mounting pin. This old style of drive has been around
since the dawn of man. The park switch as you call it is simply a switch
that opens supply circuit when it is in its park position.

 Most wiper units have a Main Supply and the bypass supply to close the
internal switch, along with the common/grd of course.

  The idea of the main supply of course is to allow the unit to have
power when you turn off the switch. This will auto retract the wipers
the next time you turn on the ignition or acc, if not in the park pos to
start with..

 With the poster comments, I would think that a mechanical limit switch
would serve as the complete cycle stop switch.. If you want to repeat
the cycle, you can close that switch.
  I guess this only holds true if the mechanics are design with a
reciprocating motion.

 But I really think this video will help much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o

Jamie

Site Timeline