Serial Port Pic Programmer using USB

Can a PICmicro programmer which normally uses a Serial port be used on a USB port with a Serial to USB adaptor?

Reply to
Syd

Yes, but maybe it is better to use something like the 18F2455, but this depends on your project.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

in most cases, the answer is yes. for instance, the ftdi family of chips simply adds an additional comm port when you plug in the USB to serial adapter.

see:

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

It depends upon the software. There are some quirky differences in the behavior of the USB to serial adaptor vs. regular serial i/o.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

In most cases yes how ever, Some USB to Serial converters are not 100% compatible and thus may effect the way the programmer works. Voltage levels is the number one rule... Some of these converters do not generate the expected out of voltage and current on the control lines that the programmer wants to see. Also, there are a few that do not support the control lines to 100%..

Real Programmers Do things like this.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jamie

we have the following guarantee on our adapters:

Dontronics Guarantee: These converters are packed in a plastic envelope that can easily be re-packed without any damage. If you purchase this product, and it doesn't work for you, return it in a re-sellable condition, that is, in the same condition that it was delivered to you, and will will refund your money in full, provided you return it within 7 days of receiving it.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

=_NextPart_000_0049_01C82DDD.CBBA36A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

"Jamie" wrote >=20

on

100%
100%..

I think that was in the past when they were first introduced. All the = USB-serial adaptors I picked up inthe last year or so work without a = hitch. But its just as easy to pick up another one if one fails to work = correctly.

Martin Riddle