Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)

It seems that hardly a month goes by without some semiconductor manufacture
r changing names, either because they were acquired by another, spun off as
 a separate company or whatever.

Does anyone have a pointer to a who's who history of these companies?

The reason I want it is because sometimes I'll spec a part and my customer
will say something like, "ON Semiconductor? Who the heck are they?" and I'l
l say, "They used to be Motorola." and the customer who obviously has never
 heard of ON but has heard of Motorola is comfortable with that.

I've had this conversation more than once, and there have been times that I
 did not know the answer. It would help to have a cheat sheet.

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)
On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 15:19:20 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

changing names, either because they were acquired by another, spun off as a
separate company or whatever.
say something like, "ON Semiconductor? Who the heck are they?" and I'll say,
"They used to be Motorola." and the customer who obviously has never heard of ON
but has heard of Motorola is comfortable with that.
not know the answer. It would help to have a cheat sheet.

Aside: is IR the only really old semiconductor company, dating from
the tube days?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)
changing names, either because they were acquired by another, spun off as a
separate company or whatever.
will say something like, "ON Semiconductor? Who the heck are they?" and I'll
say, "They used to be Motorola." and the customer who obviously has never heard
of ON but has heard of Motorola is comfortable with that.
did not know the answer. It would help to have a cheat sheet.

Not from the tube days, maybe, but Fairchild is pretty old. From the
60's, I believe.

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)

Fairchild disappeared completely for a while after National bought it.
Today's Fairchild is just the Fairchild name attached to a spin-off from
National.

On and Fairchild are both doing much better than I had expected -- I
thought that Motorola and National were both just spinning off
unprofitable old commodity stuff.  In the case of FreeFall Semiconductor
it appears that what was spun off was the good stuff!

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)
It's not the same outfit, though.  The old Fairchild Camera & Instrument
became part of National long ago.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

  I have a collection of Sprague logic IC's.. I don't see them very much
any more..

  Btw, I found matched pairs of RCA transistors in my collection not to
long ago, still sealed in their paired packages. Maybe that will become
an Ebay grab one day! :)

Jamie

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)
Sprague was bought by Allegro. Allegro is really the US arm of Sanken.

While we're at it, Cherry was bought by On.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ON_Semiconductor

I think you could make a list of who begat who by reading the wikis of
the present day semiconductor companies and looking at the acquisitions.

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)
changing names, either because they were acquired by another, spun off as a
separate company or whatever.
will say something like, "ON Semiconductor? Who the heck are they?" and I'll
say, "They used to be Motorola." and the customer who obviously has never heard
of ON but has heard of Motorola is comfortable with that.
did not know the answer. It would help to have a cheat sheet.

it's not the same as the original fairchild.

TI pretty darn old and the same company. The

EDI in NY has been around since 1951, and there's probably other small
specialty companies from around the same era still in operation.

Sanken is pretty old too. They claim founding in 1946 and their lab
opening in 1937.

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)
   BUT..the Fairchild of now is NOT the original Fairchild (which used
to be a fair-sized conglomerate).
   Hell, they do not even have anywhere the semiconductor breadth of the
original company.

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)

   Fairchild made VHF business radios, back in the '60s.  I converted
one to a two meter repeater, in the early '80s.

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)
urer changing names, either because they were acquired by another, spun off
 as a separate company or whatever.
er will say something like, "ON Semiconductor? Who the heck are they?" and
I'll say, "They used to be Motorola." and the customer who obviously has ne
ver heard of ON but has heard of Motorola is comfortable with that.
t I did not know the answer. It would help to have a cheat sheet.

RCA started in 1919, definitely exploited tubes (or valves in my
dialect)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA

Philips - now NXP was founded in 1891 to make filamenent lamps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips

Ferranti was even older, founded in 1885 to make big alternators

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferranti

You like some of their transistors, including some of the avalanche-
breakdown parts they have made in Russia.

Plessey was originally founded in 1917. Phil Hobbs liked some of their
IC's. I worked for them for a while, in Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plessey .

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)
changing names, either because they were acquired by another, spun off as a
separate company or whatever.
will say something like, "ON Semiconductor? Who the heck are they?" and I'll
say, "They used to be Motorola." and the customer who obviously has never heard
of ON but has heard of Motorola is comfortable with that.
did not know the answer. It would help to have a cheat sheet.

All their chips got sold off to GE, iirc, then GE's s/c business went to
Intersil and maybe Harris, at which point I sort of lost track.

Ferranti also made some interesting early nonvolatile displays, iirc,
and maybe MNOS memory.  (MNOS, not NMOS!)

I really liked the 11C90 prescaler, and especially their cute saturating
amps, which had a gain of about 10 dB until saturation, at which point
they rolled over cleanly to an incremental gain of 0 dB.  That was a
pretty good trick, and made it easy to build excellent DLVAs--you just
cascaded a string of them into a diode detector, and you were done.  The
laser heterodyne confocal microscope that I built for my thesis project
used those.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

So did I.

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)
changing names, either because they were acquired by another, spun off as a
separate company or whatever.
will say something like, "ON Semiconductor? Who the heck are they?" and I'll
say, "They used to be Motorola." and the customer who obviously has never heard
of ON but has heard of Motorola is comfortable with that.
did not know the answer. It would help to have a cheat sheet.

Toshiba (parent companies founded in the 19th century), Sony, Panasonic,
NJR, Rohm, Nichia, Fujitsu...

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)
cturer changing names, either because they were acquired by another, spun o
ff as a separate company or whatever.
omer will say something like, "ON Semiconductor? Who the heck are they?" an
d I'll say, "They used to be Motorola." and the customer who obviously has
never heard of ON but has heard of Motorola is comfortable with that.
hat I did not know the answer. It would help to have a cheat sheet.

Come to think of it, even Texas Instruments - nominally founded in
1951 - started off as Geophysical Service in the 1930's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geophysical_Service

providing geological information to oil companies, and build sonar-
based submarine detection gear for the US Navy during WW2

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)

That crowdsourced semi database website from the Netherlands with
the slightly risque name had good company histories and logo data
as I remember.  (Maybe somebody with less brain fade than I do can
remember the name).

If it went the way of all things net (evaporating or going commercial),
it might be archived somewhere like "the wayback machine" site.

Mark Zenier   snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)
rer changing names, either because they were acquired by another, spun off
as a separate company or whatever.
r will say something like, "ON Semiconductor? Who the heck are they?" and I
'll say, "They used to be Motorola." and the customer who obviously has nev
er heard of ON but has heard of Motorola is comfortable with that.

Next some company will change name to "OFF". ON sounded stupid when the bra
nded the new name, but now its rings fine and is hard to forget

Cheers

Klaus

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)
On Wed, 5 Jun 2013 14:42:44 -0700 (PDT), Klaus Kragelund

changing names, either because they were acquired by another, spun off as a
separate company or whatever.
will say something like, "ON Semiconductor? Who the heck are they?" and I'll
say, "They used to be Motorola." and the customer who obviously has never heard
of ON but has heard of Motorola is comfortable with that.
the new name, but now its rings fine and is hard to forget

Back when I was with Cadence, I saw this one chart that listed all the
companies that had merged/been acquired/been assimiliated to become
Cadence.  It was on a legal sized sheet of paper, and listed a couple
of dozen companies...

Charlie

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)

I've always called it "O-N", since it's capitalized.

Re: Semiconductor manufacturers who's who (historical reference)

changing names, either because they were acquired by another, spun off as a
separate company or whatever.
Hello,

a lot of history is found here:
http://semiconductormuseum.com/Museum_Index.htm