Semi manufacturer takeover - do parts change?

A product has been using the HEF4060B for the last two or three decades without issue. But the last batch have issues with the oscillator starting reliably at the correct frequency (32767Hz xtal)

The part originally used was manufactured by Philips. Then Philips became NXP around 2006. I'm not sure if it was taken over, renamed or whatever......

Parts branded NXP have been used in the past without issue however the last batch is causing problems.

The older data sheets seem to be identical to the latest revision data sheets so we expect the performance to be the same.

Is it acceptable to expect that a part will not subtly change in some way over this time period? What happens if they change to a different fabrication process or facility? I vaguely recall a discussion about this sort of thing in the last year or so.

Thanks

Reply to
Kluge

Hmm any other changes to the pcb? New layout, different caps?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Does it start at a harmonic or a completely different frequency?

Faster rise time or lower drive impedance parts can sometimes cause curious effects and 32kHz xtals tend to react badly to being overdriven.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

What's the exact symptom? The 4046's oscillator will generally work over a range of more than 100:1 (often even 1000:1) but the guaranteed specs aren't what you'd call microscopically precise.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Are you still getting a part labeled HEF4060B or one labeled 74HC4060?

(The 74HC4060 datasheet says, "... _pin_ compatible with the HEF4060.")

It's quite possible that the fab facility was changed. Some years ago I was involved in moving all of ON-Semi's 'HC line to a different process house. The hardest part to match new-to-old performance was the 'HCU04 inverter... commonly used for crystal oscillators.

You may need to adjust the values of the drive resistor and the "pi" capacitors. ...Jim Thompson

Excellent point, Martin. I wonder if the crystal manufacturer rather than the IC manufacturer has changed something.

Reply to
John S

Gate-based XOs are always tricky. The crystal parameters, the external caps, and the gate behavior all interact, so things need to be tweaked to work, and an apparently OK tweak could be marginal. The semi process could have changed, for instance the new gate could be faster than in the old process, have less phase shift, and not oscillate with your old parts.

Play with the caps and any resistors in the circuit, to get you back to marginal operation.

I always buy packaged oscillators, which always oscillate.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Parts change. Like JT and JL said, analog functions implemented on digital processes have the most trouble.

Two or three decades without a problem is pretty good, actually.

I was in charge of maintaining a board for a while that had an MC1594 on it: at least once a year the factory would change the process, which changed the offsets or gains, which required tweaking resistors on the board. So your life could be much worse.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Well, this happens all the time, unfortunately! One thing is, you may have to change the resonating caps on the crystal to get the crystal to start up un the right harmonic or fundamental. If the oscillator completely fails to start, a resistor across the crystal may be needed. if it starts at the wrong frequency, then the resonating caps are wrong. A few pF up or down may be all it needs to fix the problem. A small change to the chip layout or packaging technology could cause a few pF change in terminal capacitance.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Nope, all EXACTLY the same. Some work ok some don't.

Reply to
Kluge

It starts up at roughly twice the fundamental.

Reply to
Kluge

Its the same part number - HEF4060B.

It's used in a battery supplied low power design. 4060's from other vendors were tested but the current consumption is too high with the alternatives.

Reply to
Kluge

Less drive power and a low pass filter should fix it.

As one of my dodgier mentors would say "slug it with a bit of extra R and C" (it was his fix for anything that misbehaved - amazingly it worked more often than not because he was very good at figuring out exactly where to put it). His fix for things mechanical was a bit of bent tin. He left a trail of things that worked but were ugly.

I suspect the xtal loading capacitance is now too low and the output drive power too high so a bit more series resistance and some more capacitance ought to prevent the second harmonic from resonating.

I'd bet the new part is faster with a lower output capacitance and smaller chip geometry. JT has explained why this happens.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks Martin - more food for thought.

Reply to
Kluge

Yep. For the 'HCU04 replacement I had a helluva time matching the new gain-bandwidth-phase against the old... but I succeeded. Some "reworkers" may not be so dedicated. ...Jim Thompson