SED for future generations, or just a place to find post details

Hi

So, my first SED post was probably 20 years ago

From my point of view SED is great, learning stuff I could only find with c onsiderable effort in textbooks, apart from the too many OT posts

So a typical post is stored in google Newsgroups, but links and referenced pictures for example Dropbox disappears when the user removes them

I find myself storing the bests posts and relevant pictures on my computer

But probably so does many others. How about creating a server where it is s tored for all people to access to make it more effective and searchable?

Or maybe I am the only one doing this?

I could volunteer some hundred GB storage of my NAS as a shared drive, but there would need to be an image several other places

Any comments?

Cheers

Klaus

PS. I sometimes thing if we could work together we could make terrific HW p roducts with all the combined knowledge, but agreements on the route would be tough ?

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

One could even auto generate a book from the SED posting, keeping in mind that not all on the internet is true...

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I always thought that a group design project would be fun.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

considerable effort in textbooks, apart from the too many OT posts

d pictures for example Dropbox disappears when the user removes them

stored for all people to access to make it more effective and searchable?

t there would need to be an image several other places

products with all the combined knowledge, but agreements on the route woul d be tough ?

Presumably if served by many servers it would be more robust? I've learnt a great deal from here over the years. I'm not sure how engaging a full arch ive would be. I save selected explanatory comments & they're very education al.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've wondered about that. Copyright is the issue. I guess in any collection not everything is true, but that's true of books as well.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Agent (newsreader) makes that trivial, "Save Messages as...", and I file them away in directories by topic... PDF any relevant linked drawings/schematics so I'm not hobbled by links that go away.

The trickiest part would be indexing the topics to make them searchable.

We're all narcissistic prima donna's... how would that work ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Yes. I bet it would be chaos though! People here have such different takes on / approaches to things. You know what they say about desgn by committee.

Actually I think we have tried this to an extent on a miniscule project I mentioned, a gravity powered light.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I just keep them in folders/directories, it's good enough for me to find things. Some are stored twice in different places, since it's mostly text the resulting overhead is trivial.

Heh. Everyone could pitch in ideas, each person could run with what they wanted, and whoever, if anyone, made the goods, probably each would pick different ideas to work with.

Would need to start with some sort of agreement on usability of ideas.

And of course consider what to design. It has to be something many could contribute to.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

W products with all the combined knowledge, but agreements on the route wou ld be tough ?

I use

for historical sites that are scanned. Not sure if Gr oups are scanned though.

I once was chief cook and bottle washer at Contract Manufacturer after bein g Eng Mgr. From hind-sight the owners wanted to promote custom designs for customer requirements not just build them, so they sell the company for $1B to Solectron.

So they gave me the position as Design Services Mgr with a department of 1 . So I got a few contracts and then started a virtual engineering organizat ion using all the employees from dozens of plants owned by C-MAC at one tim e. I was told I could use any resources available who wanted to contribute. My favorite one just used a few here and there because it was easier to k eep it small. In the end I was awarded the 1st outside deign contract from Lucent and I promised a prototype in 8 wks and deliver with custom 1U sheet metal, PCB, Origami folded 50 wire ribbon cables (that was fun) and stack jacks 1 week early. It was a 180W 16 port , 1U high PoE box for their T1 ph ones. with orders for 10k/yr. I learnt the value of delegation of sheet met al detail design by metal-benders and PCB layout by our Test Engineer and P roject Mgr to do daily bridge phone calls and take notes and action items.

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

considerable effort in textbooks, apart from the too many OT posts.

My unwritten rule to myself, is I need to start a few on topic threads before an off topic one. If we all did that......

d pictures for example Dropbox disappears when the user removes them

stored for all people to access to make it more effective and searchable?

I'll sometimes save posts, but more often print out the interesting circuit fragments and stick them in the back of my notebook.

t there would need to be an image several other places.

That sounds nice, but a lot of work... saving and indexing the links that go with the post.

My favorite thing about SED is it is an intelligent audience. Which is enough to make me think about my question as I'm asking.

George h.

products with all the combined knowledge, but agreements on the route woul d be tough ?

Reply to
George Herold

And here I thought this place was just Facebook for elderly nerds!

Reply to
DemonicTubes

considerable effort in textbooks, apart from the too many OT posts

d pictures for example Dropbox disappears when the user removes them

stored for all people to access to make it more effective and searchable?

t there would need to be an image several other places

products with all the combined knowledge, but agreements on the route woul d be tough ?

Obsolete technology and methodology most of it...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Elderly nerds are about the only people still designing real electronics!

lunatic fringe electronics

Take a look at: It's not exactly what you're suggesting, but it has the same purpose. I use it often because it certain articles of interest and eliminates the clutter (such as this message).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Mmmm... Is alt.binaries.schematic.electronic a useful platform for that (drawings, pictures as attachments to text)?

Reply to
Robert Baer