Secret History of Silicon Valley

Grizzly H.
Reply to
mixed nuts

I watched a little... (I'm testing electronics which is boring.) Re:Battle of Britain, you might like "Most secret war" by RV Jones. Some nice science/engineering as well as a little peek into British military "intelligence".

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's called "The Wizard War" over here. Great book--Jones is my hero.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

A very very good book. I've recently re-read it, and it is still good 40 years after I first read it.

Some of Jones' techniques have been directly applicable to my career.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I thought it was called Wizard War on the other side of the pond. But no matter, when I bought my copy "Most secret war" was cheaper, and besides spelling a few very common words wrong all the time, it's a nice read. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The BBC made a series of rather good programs in 1976 on these topics. It is interesting to see the style: information dense, informative graphics and no aimless wandering in pretty locations.

To see them, use to find one icepick141's "channel", then search within that channel for "BBC The Secret War".

Good viewing for dark winter evenings.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hi Tom, If you build mechanical instruments of any kind, you might also like his book "Instruments and Experiences". I noticed there's a copy for ~$120 on Amazon... The typical price is closer to ~$200. (I bought one for ~$100 a few years ago... shipped from India.)

Anyway if you can afford the scratch I predict you will like it even more.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Noah Webster was a bit of a crank--if he were living today, he'd definitely be a tree-hugging vegan.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yup. It's a collection of his papers on instrument design and measurements, each one paired with a section of about equal length about how the work was done--all the difficulties, false starts, thought process, and so on. Those are really worth their weight in gold.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, and beside which he seems to be a total mensch, a good guy all around. My impression, only from his writings, is one of honesty. That, to me is the most important thing, for both science and business*.

George H.

*Dang it puts a pit in my stomach as I write that. I feel like I gotta get a new job. If I get a gig that needs a smps, I'm trusting SED will give me a little back-up, as I honestly describe all the smoke. :^) GH
Reply to
George Herold

It is tempting, particularly since I've always like instruments and metrology.

The major issue is the number of days remaining in my life and the number of different things I want to do. I suppose I'm lucky in that respect!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Top row, 2nd from left. One of my favorite books. Plenty of insight into how intelligence was done during WWII.

The BBC turned much of the book into videos, available on YouTube: The book is better.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

What's wrong with being a tree-hugging vegan? :(

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

They're harmless compared with spelling reformers like Webster.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Elaborate? I'm not sure the issue you mean...

I'm a filthy liberal myself, and am pretty OK with "alternative" lifestyles, though in the main they aren't really my thing.

I have a friend who was born with too many chromosomes, XXY, Non-Kinfelter or something like that. She...they....looks essentially female, dresses female as that seems the path of least resistance, but seems I guess more "male" in behavior and hobbies. Doesn't really identify with either gender specifically, though.

Pronouns are an issue...

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Yeah, Well go squeeze your wife, or hug your daughter then. (I'm a man of simple tastes.) I was helping my 16 yo daughter with math last night. (She understands it fine, but is too quick and makes silly sign mistakes.) I started by giving her a hug when she got it right, but she didn't like that. So we settled on my giving her a hug if she got it wrong, and she got to punch me if she got it right. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Noah Webster's dictionary is responsible for the gross discrimination against the letter 'u' in American English, not to mention the failure to double trailing consonants when forming gerunds, e.g. "travelling".

If that isn't discrimination against colour, what is? ;)

I knew that. ;)

That sort of thing is tough, so it's fortunate that it's so very rare. But it doesn't sound like she insists on rubbing other people's noses in it. I'm in favour of everyone being polite, regardless of what they like to do after dark.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

sure for a very limited number of people, but it can silly when the special snowflakes on tumblr start demanding everyone address them using some made up word

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Hi Lasse, I didn't watch the video. (at home limited download.) I'm not sure how old you are, but high school these days is much different than when I was there in the mid 70's. My daughter is in all the musicals and theater stuff. Which also tends to attract, those nearer the edge of the bell curve. After a theater performance earlier this year, I learned that all the young men were gay.. except for one who my daughter said was gay but hadn't come out yet. She called him a "rainbow in a glass doored closet". Anyway there are also a few "butchie"* women. One of whom dresses male, is called he and has changed his name to star or angel, or something. All these people are totally accepted, which I think is pretty cool.. better than being repressed..etc.

George H.

*Butch here is meant as a description and not an insult. In college a good friend would take me to lesbian bars with her. It was a lot of fun, hanging out with girls, but no sexual tension.
Reply to
George Herold