searching better alternative for LM386

Everyone,

In my design I need to drive headphones with nominally 10 ohm impedance with an audio signal. The supply for the audio is +12V single supply (this is created from the main 2.5V-3.3V battery supply using a DC/DC converter). The output swing does not need to be all the way to the rail, something like 7..8V peak-peak is acceptable. The input signal is

0..2.5V.

The signals are synthesized sine waves and tone bursts coming from a DAC, with frequencies from 250Hz to 1kHz. Not music or speech.

Important is that the quiescent power consumption is low (

Reply to
Tom

Check out the National Semiconductor "Boomer" range of amp chips, many are designed specifically for headphones and include class-D designs and ones with built in supply rail boosters.

Reply to
ian field
** Groper CRIMINAL NIGHTMARE Alert !!

** What the HELL are they ?

Rejects from Noah's Ark - by any chance ???

Headphones with such low impedance have not been generally on sale in decades.

** YOU are completely INSANE !!

With 10 ohm headphones, an input power level like that is LETHAL to the wearer !!!!

** The keep the damn power level in the few milliwatt region

- you FUCKING IDIOT !!

Have you NO FUCKING idea how many dB SPL you are generating !!!!!!!

** That is complete PROOF of my earlier comments.

YOU are a ABSOLUTE f****ng IDIOT who is about to DESTROY some innocent person's PRECIOUS hearing for the rest of their life !!!

Shooting YOU is TOO damn good for YOU !!!

ASININE FUCKWITS like YOU ought to be BOILED in oil !!!!

** Yes ..... I f****ng do.

The Belgium Police should be notified of your exact whereabouts and what you are up to.

They should then charge YOU with attempted malicious injury.

Plus give you a MASSIVE boot up your fat stupid ARSE !!!!

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"John Popelish"

** Nope - he is correct.

He simply has no idea how dangerous what he is doing is.

Connect some 8 ohm phones DIRECT to a power amp anytime to see the issue.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I think you may have jumped to an invalid conclusion. I would say that the noise you hear is passing through the LM386, but not necessarily being generated by it. Have you done a listen using a battery as a power supply?

Reply to
John Popelish

Feeling better now?!!!

Reply to
ian field

Trans-fat free oil? It might change the taste.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Maybe he needs to plug a clock radio into it.

Reply to
James Beck

Zobel network? D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

have a look at the LT1010 from linear, specificaly P.14 in the data sheet You could possibly use the discrete equivalent, with a "normal" opamp in front. Of course you would have to mash it up for single rail working, maybe

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

... snip ...

I use a similar setup with LM386, and never heard any 'white' noise. Are you certain it comes from the LM386 ? They are good at picking up power supply noise.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Design Engineer         J & K Micro Systems
Microcomputer solutions for industrial control
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

"Adrian Jansen"

** But YOU did not use 8 or 10 ohm headphones.

If you did, you will hear background hiss.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 01:25:58 +1100, "Phil Allison" Gave us:

As if a dipshit that makes post title changes they way your retarded ass does would even know.

Reply to
MassiveProng

Phil,

These are special in-ear phones for use in a medical setting to use diagnosing the balance organs in your ear. The low impedance allows high short-time power levels with a relatively low supply voltage (12V).

I never said I would apply a constant sine wave with this power. Just a short toneburst of, for example, 5 cycles long, once every 200 milliseconds or so.

Yes I have. I NEED to generate something in the order of 150 dB SPL briefly during these tonebursts (at the maximum power setting, obviously in most cases (healthy people etc.) the required power will be much lower).

I am designing an application to specifications from the medical doctors here. Please don't jump to conclusions about my criminal intentions are stupidity without knowing anything about my application.

greetings, Tom

Reply to
Tom

Dont think a rational explanation will prevent the abuse. Just ignore him, he's one of a couple of lunatics at SED that fly off the handle at the slightest provocation such as, in your case, asking a sensible question.

You will probably get abused further, for failing to disclose every nuance of your aplication, regardless that its not actually relevant to the original question.

BTW this is probably the single best debunking of one of PA's rants I have ever seen! Well Done sir!

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

It's Tinnitus - a common side effect of hearing loss (or depression).

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Martin,

Thank you, that looks like an interesting part. Its ~8 ohm output resistance is on the high side for a 10 ohm load, but if it stays sufficiently constant I can compensate for that. It swings to within 3V from the rails, which is also OK (this is less relevant for the 10 ohm headphones but important for 50-ohm impedance bone-stimulating actuators which could also be used instead). The +-150mA current limit should also be just enough to meet my specs. I'll try to get my hands on some of these parts to try them out...

greetings, Tom

Reply to
Tom

"Tom"

** Seems like an ** EXTRAORDINARILY ** dangerous thing for anyone to do.

One small, technical stuff up - the subject has their hearing permanently damaged.

Might as well be firing gun shots right next to their ears !!

** But YOU have already demonstrated YOU have NO damn idea what you are doing.

Tell me - are any of those alleged " doctors " related to Joseph Mengele by any chance ??

** The OBLIGATION is on * YOU * to inform us about your so called "application".

It would be *criminal* for anyone reading your post to attempt to emulate what you describe and are asking us about.

You completely forget this is OPEN PUBLIC FORUM - plus, all the posts are archived by Google and others for decades.

This is ABSOLUTELY NOT the place to discuss dangerous experiments on humans.

I absolutely stand by my earlier comments and the heading.

Someone FAR FAR more technically competent and wise than *YOU* needs to be given the task.

The audio driving circuits to those earpieces MUST have safety interlocks desigjed in and 100% fool proof automatic trips if input power levels EVER exceed what is known to cause hearing damage .

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Terry Given"

** Fuck off - you ASD f***ed IDIOT !!

Reply to
Phil Allison

thats why I suggested the "discrete version", cheaper, and you can choose your own o/p transistors, emitter Rs , magic smoke level (tm), etc. I think TI and Analog do equivalents

martin

Reply to
martin griffith