Scripps: New Climate Risk Classification Created to Account for Potential ?Existential? Threats

This is looking worse all the time. Give it another year and they'll be tel ling you to prepare for the end.

"A new study evaluating models of future climate scenarios has led to the c reation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? and ? ??unknown? to characterize the range of threats posed by rapid global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply existential th reats to the survival of humanity."

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

telling you to prepare for the end.

he creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? and ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats posed by rapid global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply existe ntial threats to the survival of humanity."

"Gimmie that old time religion, that old time religion...."

I'm surprised they aren't signing hymns - above is a suggestion for the climate catastrophes latest proselytizing.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

New categories! Unknown risks! May as well find a good cliff to jump off of. You go first.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

telling you to prepare for the end.

e creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? and ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats posed by rap id global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply existential threats to the survival of humanity."

People in your neighborhood use the Golden Gate Bridge. You'll probably be dead of natural causes long before 2050, so you don't have to do anything, just hang tight.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

We will all be fine. Look John has a new glacier up by his cabin:

Martin Riddle

Just above Truckee, big peak a bit south, there was still snow three weeks ago, clearly visible from Northwoods Blvd. And it's cooling off fast now. Maybe that's a small glacier.

There are official glaciers a little ways down in the Sierras, south of Tahoe.

lunatic fringe electronics

be telling you to prepare for the end.

o the creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? an d ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats posed by r apid global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply existenti al threats to the survival of humanity."

be dead of natural causes long before 2050, so you don't have to do anythi ng, just hang tight.

Enjoy them while they last.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

be telling you to prepare for the end.

o the creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? an d ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats posed by r apid global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply existenti al threats to the survival of humanity."

be dead of natural causes long before 2050, so you don't have to do anythi ng, just hang tight.

Looks like a barren moonscape there. How come there aren't more trees and v egetation?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

be telling you to prepare for the end.

o the creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? an d ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats posed by r apid global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply existenti al threats to the survival of humanity."

be dead of natural causes long before 2050, so you don't have to do anythi ng, just hang tight.

Climate vs weather. Simple concept, but something you seem to still not gra sp.

A cold few weeks or even a cold year or two doesn't necessarily mean the cl imate is changing. If this trend continues for decades, then yes, one could say climate is changing.

Reply to
lonmkusch

Where do you refer to? Most of the sierras are heavily wooded. The small stuff either burns off now and then - perfectly natural - or is removed by people so it won't burn. The big peaks are above tree line,

8000 feet or so. The peaks are rocky too, not friendly to plant life. California just isn't like most of the country; annual rainfall is low. The Sierra peaks get a lot of precipitation, but that's high up and mostly snow, and it's dry in the summer.

One big reason I moved to California, specifically close to the Pacific Ocean, is to get away from the pollen back East. With 20" of annual rainfall, most of that in winter, the pollen season is short and wimpy. There is no ragweed here!

Hiking around here - in San Francisco or in the Sierras - is beautiful.

We just didn't get 200 mile views in Louisiana. Not a lot of snow-capped mountains, either.

lunatic fringe electronics

It's like jitter and wander: a completely arbitrary division of time scales.

Pick the time scale that confirms your biases best.

lunatic fringe electronics

:

'll be telling you to prepare for the end.

d to the creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? and ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats posed b y rapid global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply existe ntial threats to the survival of humanity."

mp

bly be dead of natural causes long before 2050, so you don't have to do any thing, just hang tight.

grasp.

So now it comes out: you like blurring the lines between the two depending on what suits you. Unfortunately, climate and weather are quite well define d. But you'd somehow argue it's wrong because you're free thinking and chal lenge the status quo.

climate is changing. If this trend continues for decades, then yes, one co uld say climate is changing.

It's 30 years. But you probably have other numbers in mind that change depe nding on the situation.

"The classical period is 30 years, as defined by the World Meteorological O rganization (WMO)."

lonmkusch

:

'll be telling you to prepare for the end.

d to the creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? and ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats posed b y rapid global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply existe ntial threats to the survival of humanity."

mp

bly be dead of natural causes long before 2050, so you don't have to do any thing, just hang tight.

grasp.

It's not. Weather is largely unconstrained by the thermodymanics of energy coming from the sun and being re-radiated into space.

Climate is long term enough that the thermal reservoirs have a finite capac ity and restrict what can happen (if not exactly when).

climate is changing. If this trend continues for decades, then yes, one co uld say climate is changing.

There's plenty of history that shows what happens over particular time scal es. Most of it is geological - ice core data isn't rocks, and sea- and lake

-floor sediments aren't either, but the ice cores go back about a million y ears, and some of the sediment go back before we started having ice ages ev ery 100,000 years or so.

You could usefully learn what it has to tell you, but your combination of e gomania and enthusiasm for the superficial mean that you won't, so we have to put up with your glib idiocies.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

30 years is an excellent time scale to avoid being responsible for predictions. Much better than 10, which was embarassing.

Who cares about 30 year old predictions, when "the models are so much better now" ?

lunatic fringe electronics

We do try to tell John Larkin about the multidecadal Atlantic and Pacific oscillations, which reflect deep ocean currents moving around - rather like the El Nino/La Nina alternation, which also affects the global average temperature.

The first published mention of the Atlantic Multidecadal oscillation seems to be 1993, which is less than thirty years ago.

We've had the Argo buoys out mapping the deep ocean currents for a few years now, but predictive models still seem to be some way away.

There's lot more information available as well. The thirty year-old models were a bit weak on the contributions of ocean currents.

The Younger Dryas is a fairly dramatic illustration of the importance of ocean currents, but it took place quite a while ago, and having the Gulf Stream turn itself off was pretty dramatic.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:

ote:

hey'll be telling you to prepare for the end.

led to the creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? ? and ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats pose d by rapid global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply exi stential threats to the survival of humanity."

jump

obably be dead of natural causes long before 2050, so you don't have to do anything, just hang tight.

ff

ot grasp.

ng on what suits you. Unfortunately, climate and weather are quite well def ined. But you'd somehow argue it's wrong because you're free thinking and c hallenge the status quo.

the climate is changing. If this trend continues for decades, then yes, one could say climate is changing.

epending on the situation.

l Organization (WMO)."

Damn you are difficult.

I suppose this is why there's extended weather forecasts to 10 days or so, which aren't always accurate due to the difficulty of predicting day-to-day weather? Yet, meteorologists continue to attempt to do so, despite, as you would say, being responsible for their predictions. Sheesh.

"Why is it 30 years (and not 300 years) ? Of course, there are practical re asons such as the length of homogenized and good quality climate data sets. But there are also more fundamental reasons that relies on a possible sepa ration between fast and slow variations, the fast variations being usually unpredictable climate variability, and the slow ones being deterministic cl imate change due for instance to external influence. Although it is not pos sible to specify exactly where this potential separation lies, there are su ggestions that it is somewhere between 10 and 100 years."

te

You've called climate research a perversion of science. I'd say your attitu de towards the science of trying to predict something so complex is an insu lt to those very scientists. But rather than throwing in the towel like you seem to favor, they press on. The reason we have such good technology in a ll sectors is because of perseverance, even if people like you prefer to in sult and denigrate those who research it.

Where's the criticism for geologists attempting to predict eruptions or ear thquakes? Or DNA researchers trying to predict one's risk of specific disea ses? Oh, those aren't politically motivated. They aren't as associated with oil and coal industries.

Let me remind you up until about 2008 lots of Republicans recognized climat e change. Then, almost overnight, they changed their tune. It became a "lib eral" thing and something to laugh at. Shocking, isn't it? And being politi cians, I can assure you their reason for the change had nothing to do with science. When you listen to their excuses for why it's not real post-2008, they're vague and non-exact. The denial is all political.

Where did you get 10?

It's not "30 year old predictions". It's 30 year averages. Didn't you take any science classes at all?

Reply to
lonmkusch

New ice age, maybe.

I was just reading about a guy who has snow skiied in California at least once a month, for the last 167 months.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

telling you to prepare for the end.

e creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? and ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats posed by rap id global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply existential threats to the survival of humanity."

Only John Larkin could be that far off the wall. Atmospheric CO2 level is n ow 405 ppm. During ice ages, the atmospheric CO2 levels are around 180ppm.

The mechanism for going from an inter-glacial - like the one we were living in, until we started burning lots of fossil carbon - where the CO2 level i s 270ppm, does involve covering large chunks of the norther hemisphere with year round snow, which is difficult to manage when you've just gone in for a century of rapid global warming.

There are suggestions that this inter-glacial would have been an unusually long one, even if we hadn't gone in for digging up and burning lots of foss il carbon.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

telling you to prepare for the end.

e creation of the new risk categories ?catastrophic? and ?unknown? to characterize the range of threats posed by rap id global warming. Researchers propose that unknown risks imply existential threats to the survival of humanity."

You know what else? If the predictions hold true, the Atlantic Meridional O verturning Circulation that keep parts of Europe warm will get disrupted an d you could probably ski there every day of the year. But then lots of othe r ecological things get messed up that humans depend on.

Nobody has ever been faulted for being an optimist. If I had John's optimis m, I'd go into an electronics store, grab a few of the most expensive TVs t hey had, and just walk out. Maybe they wouldn't notice. I refuse to believe the evidence that there's greater than a 90% chance I'll be detained and g et a free ride in a police cruiser....you know, to haul the TVs back to my place.

But when that optimism is lacking realism, that's not optimism. That's igno rance.

Reply to
lonmkusch

Why would anyone want several expensive TVs? TV is way over 99% garbage.

If you had my optimism, you would place an order with Mouser and design something kick-ass and sell a lot of them.

Then buy a chalet at one of those all-year European ski resorts like Zermatt.

lunatic fringe electronics