Screwdriver demagnetizer

Once again, a neodymium magnet came too close to a formerly unmagnetized screwdriver and left its tip magnetized. :( Sharply striking it with a heavy hammer always fails to demagnetize such screwdrivers.

The Jakemy JM-X3 [1] looks promising. Is there a better way? TIA.

Note.

Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Reply to
Don Kuenz

There's demagnetizing coils (AC powered air-core inductors); you can either slowly draw a screwdriver through them and away, to demagnetize, or stick it into the bore and disconnect the AC, to magnetize them. Bulk tape erasers, tape head degaussers, and TV degaussing coil 'wands' all work the same way.

I like the coils better than the permanent-magnet types, because you can demagnetize large objects.

Reply to
whit3rd

Classic soldering guns work, too.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yup, the old Weller-style transformer soldering gun, with the loop of heavy copper bar tip that is bolted to two posts that stick out the front of the gun (I'm describing this for the few who may not know this older style). Pass the screwdriver through the loop of the tip, squeeze the trigger and slowly pull the screwdriver through the loop, until it is at least several inches from the gun before releasing the trigger. It only takes about 3 seconds to do it. Works like a CHARM!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

We laugh at wussy little Wellers. Real Men use a Wen 250.

lunatic fringe electronics

If the thing works @ $7 then I think it's not worth the trouble of winding a coil around the screwdriver, connecting a 4 Ohm resistor in series and hooking it up to your audio amplifier while inputting a sine wave generator's signal while turning the frequency knob from low to high (and maybe the volume from high to low)...

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

I have several of these: which will both magnetize and demagnetize. They work just fine on screwdrivers. However, for odd shaped objects, that won't pass through the holes, I use an old bulk magnetic tape eraser.

Hint: When done demagnetizing, move the screwdriver away from the tape eraser and then turn off the power to the demagnetizer. If you turn it off while the screwdriver is still in the magnetic field, you run a good chance of re-magnetizing the screwdriver.

More:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Proper degaussing, in the blind, requires a large but gradually reducing AC field.

Employing static fields will be hit or miss, without instrumentation.

RL

Reply to
legg

Indeed. Works like a charm! Thank you very much Jon for your detailed description of the demag process. And thank you all for taking the time to answer my question.

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Reply to

On a sunny day (Sun, 31 Jan 2016 02:31:07 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Don Kuenz wrote in :

Probably putting it in my induction heater coil would work. Too long and you need to harden the steel again (if it gets red hot).

I like magnetic screwdrivers. so even make them magnetic.

If you have an induction cooker maybe give it a try?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 31 Jan 2016 01:11:38 -0500) it happened legg wrote in :

For the old tape erasers and TV shadowmask deagausers you had to circle and move slowly backward.

Dunnit many times.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Or you can leave the screwdriver in the coil and turn down the voltage slowly to zero, if you have a variac. Everyone should have a variac.

If you don't have a coil, you can use an old power transformer with the laminations pulled out, but probably it wouldn't like full mains voltage without the core fitted. This doesn't matter as you can run it at reduced voltage if you have a big variac.

Reply to
Chris Jones

On a sunny day (Mon, 1 Feb 2016 00:27:41 +1100) it happened Chris Jones wrote in :

Big triacs and a diac are much cheaper, also called 'light dimmer' sometimes. YMMV if it does not swich symmetrical you get some DC component.

I have used a 150 W audio amplifier and a step up transformer (mains transformer for audio amp backwards) to make 60.x Hz mains 100 W variable amplitude here with the PC as signal generator (for my cryocooler). We have 50 Hz mains. Tronix is about improvisation.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

For a fixed amplitude AC field, the gradual field reduction is achieved by gradually increasing the distance, hence the 'slow' circling and retreat.

RL

Reply to
legg

Manual SMD handling tools need degausing regularly, or they will shift and cling to components unpredictably - steel being a common terminal and IC carrier core material.

If the parts themselves become magnetized, they'll foul auto-insertion.

RL

Reply to
legg

On a sunny day (Sun, 31 Jan 2016 12:35:36 -0500) it happened legg wrote in :

Thats is true, OTOH I do everything with a pincet and solder first one side, then the other side:

this one has many many SMDs on it and works to 1.5 GHz, can you see them? link

The ones that can be magnetized I have same mounted with:

A MAGNET, one side:
then the other side:

peeseebee in mass production is evil^H^H^H^H different.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Unscrew the shaft mount from cheap AC fan motor, the kind with a big coil off to the side and shorted windings producing the rotating field. It does long range degaussing (and gets very hot) if you slice it open to be a 'C' shape.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.

I always suffer a moment of confusion when someone uses that phrase.. just how well do magic spells actually work?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Don Kuenz prodded the keyboard with:

Just drag it across the top of the lamination's of an energised transformer.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

I use the wiha mag/demag block too. Felt silly buying getting it as first, but you may need to mag or demag a tool in the field.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader