Scratch (Rumble) Filter Needed.

Scratch or Rumble band-pass filters are usually used to remove the hiss, pops, and ticks from worn records or tapes. Here's the reason I need one.

I repaired one of the hinges on an older laptop. At first you would hear the hissing and popping through the internal or external speakers when the hinge moved. I tried several different types of lubes. They all worked for a few days, but the static would always return. Finally the hinge completely froze-up. I removed the hinge and carefully knocked out the pin with a center punch. I reamed out the tubular inner core of the hinge that controls the friction applied to hinge pin. The hinge now operates like new. I thought all my problems were over but that darn popping and hissing has not gone away.

I don't want to mess with this laptop anymore. I could sit-down for hours in front of a breadboard trying to come up with a good scratch filter to plug-in to the speaker jack of this laptop. I was hoping there might be something I could buy factory assembled, or a least in kit form. A good schematic is perfectly ok, as long as the parts can be obtained from companies like Digi-Key or Mouser.

Remember all those data books we used to collect before the internet came along? They were filled with interesting schematics. At least

50% of the parts shown in these diagrams could only be obtained by ordering huge quantites. I guess if you worked for the companies that created these data books you could call Tom, Joe, or Bob and ask them to send over a dozen 0.01% tolerance resistors! Unless you lived a few miles from Silicon Valley, most of us had no way of obtaining these kind of exotic components.

I spent about fourty-five minutes with Google, but I can't find a good kit or schematic that would do the job.

Any help would be appreciated!

Holophote

Reply to
Holophote

I'm afraid what you descibe can not be filtered away. Sounds like a intermittent gnd connection on the input of that amp, or maybe there is a momentary short across the supply voltage. Could be also an electrolytic capacitor. Is it on both channels?

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

Just for some background on noise reduction.

Rumble is low frequency noise that can be filtered out with a high pass filter around 200-300 hz.

Hiss cannot be removed entirely unless you are willing to sacrifice all of the high frequencies with a low pass filter at 5 Khz or so.

Pops can be nicely removed with a circuit that senses them and puts a 'hole' in their place. You almost cannot hear a hole.

Good luck, Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

When I was a teenager my dad and uncle allowed me to buy as many books related to electronics as I wanted. As a result, I've got quite a collection of old technical books!

I was looking at a schematic in a book published by Tab called "The Active Filter Handbook." The author is Frank Tedeschi. He says, "If we combine the low and high- pass filter sections, we create a broadband band-pass filter, such as that required to limit the audio bandwidth to include only speech frequencies in the range of 300Hz to 15,000 Hz." 300-to-15,000 Hz is pretty much the entire audio spectrum that us humans can hear! I suppose that's why I thought a circuit similar to the one shown in this book might reduce, if not eliminate the noise.

There could be a dozen other things wrong with this laptop. Before I toss the thing out with the trash, I liked to try some kind of filter just to see if it will make any difference.

Except for the laptop display and it's hinges I don't want to play around with innards of this or any other laptop. I've built a couple of dozen desktops. A colleague once had all the parts that are shoehorned into the laptop case spread out on a workbench. I took one look and decided I would never try to make any major repairs on a laptop.

Holophote

Reply to
Holophote

Be careful of anything published by TAB. They published a lot of bad books over the years.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida