SCART to S-video/Composite

I'm trying to transfer a VHS recording over to my Mini-DV camcorder (which has analog inputs: S-video, audio and Composite video) so I opted for S-video, knowing it's better than composite video. However, the video becomes black/white instead of colour.

The VHS recorder has a SCART connector, so I've used a SCART adapter

set to "output". By using the composite out the signal is in colour, but not the S-video connector.

I searched the web and found out that apparently this is a common problem with SCART adapters. Here's someone advertising that they sell SCART adapters that display video in colour

svideoscart.html).

Then I came across a site where someone had modified his SCART adapter

by connecting together pins 15 and 20 of the adapter's SCART connector

I find it strange that the designers of the adapter have limited the S- video out signal to black/white -why would they do that if they could simply connect pins 15 and 20 together, so is there something else it will affect negatively if I connect these two pins together? Secondly I'm wondering if the S-video connector of the adapter really gives out an S-video signal, or if it's just a (lower quality) composite signal in the first place which has been rewired to the S- video Mini-DIN connector?

Naturally I want the best possible quality if I can have it, or I wouldn't have bothered with all of this and used the composite connector instead.

Reply to
NoSp