Sample & Hold, did they go out with the buggy whip?

Hi Folks,

Got to conserve some energy in a micro-powered mote. One place to cut is a sensor that's a power hog. So we want to briefly power it, sample, hold, turn the sensor power off and then let a 22 bit delta-sigma ADC do its crunching. Can't find a micropower S&H that can live with a 3.3V single supply. Are there any?

I could roll my own mux - cap - buffer amp thing but that gets old and uses too much space.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

ISTM that dedicated S&Hs went away when jellybean muxes got really good. 1 pC used to be really amazing, and it's now fairly run-of-the-mill.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I wouldn't think it practical to make a s/h with anything like 22 bit accuracy. Well, maybe 18 bits with expensive parts and really slow acquisition time.

Can you just power up the sensor+ADC, measure, and shut down?

People don't make s/h chips much any more. Actually, never did.

You can't leave it on long enough for the number crunch? No S/H needed. (Is it a _really_slow_ ADC?) ...Jim Thompson

True but it means that nowadays one must use a mux plus a cap plus a buffer amp while in the olden days a single IC was enough. I guess it's a pill I have to swallow, meaning some super tiny SON package to squeeze it all in. What I dread most is making the CAD models for those because there isn't much of a standard.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I really only remember the LF398, HA5351, and AD684. I don't think there ever were very many. Between improved MUXes and sampling ADCs, they sort of got squeezed out in the middle.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

??? Making a CAD model for a S/H should be downright trivial... at least for me... seems I have a building block for every occasion >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Den torsdag den 13. august 2015 kl. 23.37.21 UTC+2 skrev Joerg:

how long do you intend to power the sensor?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It's the layout footprint that is sometimes a lot of work. Nothing can be copied from anywhere, all from scratch, everything must be down to a tenth of a millimeter, radiuses, and whatnot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's what I asked. If the ADC is fast enough, who needs a S/H? ...Jim Thompson

No, because low cost ADCs >20 bits are generally slow delta sigma converters that need the input stable the whole time and spew out an incredible amount of spikes at the input.

22 bits will be a challenge for sure but we can employ some software tricks to compensate for imperfections due to droop.

Oh, there are some good ones. But all in the twodigit Dollar range and they need half a nuclear power station to run.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Can't. It tops out at 60 samples per second and we need almost that many.

Yup, it's slow. Because of power consumption requirements.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

As short as possible. It is a 1k strain gauge and ideally I'd like to push that to the low single-digit milliseconds. If I can achieve a 5% duty cycle that would cut the power consumption down by almost 95%.

Realistically we need around 20 bits of precision from a 22-bis delta sigma converter running at 60 samples/sec.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Is the sensor anything like 20 bits accurate? Actually, some load cells are.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Run it at lower voltage! Save v-squared power.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It is a strain gauge and WRT dynamic loads it is more than 20 bits accurate but we can't squeeze more than 20 bits ENOB out of the converter. DC accuracy is the pits but we don't need much there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Only if it's a switcher driving it. Could be done but we've already tried it with less than 1V and then there is a lot of in-band noise creeping up on us.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Next thing that you will be claiming is that there is no free lunch.

My experience with load cells is that they have enough vibration noise that you *have* to average them for a while. So a s/h may not work.

I can envision a power saving scheme, but it's awful.

We now use these pan balances (from china) that do 1 mg out of

200 g's. (Or something like that.) Pretty impressive for ~$200.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I assume by "need half a nuclear" plant you mean they draw as much power as your sensor?

--

Rick
Reply to