sad state of the Americal press

 Click to see the full signature

"Military Cyber Professional Association"?

Explosively-pumped magnetic flux compression generators have been in the open literature since the 80s probably; the only thing a terrorist could have any realistic chance of building that might be able to do some real (very localized) damage from EMP.

I expect a terrorist organization would prefer to just use the 35 lbs of RDX or w/e required to just blow something up if they could get their hands on it, though.

Reply to
bitrex

Most of the math and electronics/mechancial skill of designing a working nuclear bomb would go into making it but none of the fissile material required. Also, none of the big boom.

Reply to
bitrex

The second quote below reminds me of the 70's when they warned us that pocket calculators could throw off a plane's navigation.

I'm at a loss for words about the first quote.

"However, one device that scales up well for little money is the Tesla coil. A potent coil can be built for about $2000 within the means of any amateur or terrorist. The ground connects the whole electrical system, and there is no remediation if you create impulses into the ground system. When you open a circuit breaker with 3-phase power, it does not disconnect the ground."

"There are already EMP generators onboard jets; any camera that has a flash attachment, and most do, can create an EMP. In some cases, cell phones also have flash capability, so there are multiple possible EMP generators on board."

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

What can I say?

I assume that whoever wrote this has blown up every electronic device in his own house. Or city.

 Click to see the full signature

But luckily, Boeing is much safer than Airbus.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Namely sitting on the ground?

 Click to see the full signature

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in news:r0surb$is3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Camera flash units generate a pulse, but the energy is minimal.

When talking about an EMP pulse significant enough to cause damage to electrical circuits, mentioning a fart like a car coil or a camera flash provides us with what? That is like mentioning a femtowatt when the load requires Megawatts.

"EMP generators onboard jets"... What?

What sci fi movies you been watchin' boy?

The only 'EMP generators onboard jets' are friggin' nukes.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yeah, quite a bit of BS in that article except for the nuke parts.

Reply to
boB

...but luckily, Boeing is much safer than Airbus.....

That all depends on which manufacturer has the most airplanes flying in and out of China at the moment

Reply to
bulegoge

I know some are worried that the Huawei 5G equipment might have security implication, but actual viruses?

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

nda

That is not the "American press," it is one of maybe hundreds of military o riented wackadoodle "organizations" thrown together to shill for some half- assed industry or another. In this case it is obviously cyber security IT. Article is idiotic, written by some half-assed idiot, for other half-assed idiots. Very military oriented in other words.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

They seem to have confused "RF electrical interference" with true EMP where electrons are very suddenly accelerated sideways in matter.

You could probably make a device to shrink coinage as a (dangerous) amateur science experiment. Such designs have been in SciAms AmSci along with a build your own atom smasher which could also be risky. My friend built the Van der Graff for it but never finished the beamline.

It still wouldn't do much by way of an EMP though.

An earthed biscuit tin offers reasonable low tech protection from EMP. ISTR a lot of EMP protection methods are still closely guarded secrets and/or classified.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

If your car has the silly unlock when you get close feature, keep your key fobs (and cell phone?) in a Danish Butter Cookie can, to avoid the RF relay break-in trick.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

====snip====

One adjective too many in that first sentence, methinks. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Reply to

My nomination for worst headline so far this year:

"China-U.S. Air Traffic Is In Free-Fall"

Les Cargill
Reply to
Les Cargill

This isn't press. It's somebody trying to create something scary they can get funded to fight.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Standard press headline amphibology, it's nothing new. If it got your attention it worked.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Planes get hit by lightnings on nearly daily base. The lightning might hit one wing and then continue to ground from opposite wing. Not a big deal for older aluminum planes, those plastic (composite) planes need some extra precaution.

Was this a mains powered device or did it have long speaker wires ?

Reply to
upsidedown

To be sure.

I just scanned past it on an aggregator - didn't actually read it.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to