S2405 Cheap scope, new working software or serial protocol to write my own

I have a cheap hand held DMM scope meter that I used mostly for very basic things..S2405 model rebranded under serveral names. Today I installed the old software to a windows XP machine using a USB to Serial converter. The converter works fine on the machine however, the supplied software, which is 16 bit land does not seem to communication with the USB driver, it knows it exist but that is just about it. I don't think the 16 bit subwindows software is handling it very well.

Does any one have the actual protocol used in the serial link so that I can write my own software for 32/64 land ? Currently the supplied software seems to only work if you have a real serial port installed but obviously the profibus driver I am using does not seem to support the 16 bit windows on windows WOWxxxx.exe found in XP, very well..

I would love to get my hands on the protocol used in the serial link but if not for that, at least a working program that works in

32/64 bit land..

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

How about running your previous operating system in VMWare on XP?

Reply to
Bill Martin

Comes from the issue of the USB - 232 converter not supporting the

16 bit sub system, I doubt running VMware is going to fix anything.

Apparently the old program does some direct access and expects a standard Uarts to be there.

You must remember that back in 16 bit days it was common to communicate directly with the port via a DLL, not many 232 converters set themselfs up for that these days :) Still like to get my hands on the data stream protcol for the serial version, many of them sold out there. :)

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

So set up a '98 machine and snoop the data lines.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Lesson learned: keep at least one vintage machine that has true serial port, parallel port, floppy, etc. I have an old P4 laptop that serves most of these needs.

[I even keep one ISA machine just to have physical access to the ISA bus, 5" media, etc.]

Once you can get a machine talking to it, you can possibly snoop the protocol. Doubtful that it is deliberately obfuscated (though, in practice, that may effectively be the case). OTOH, you may be able to recognize it as just a command/data/response protocol (but with "big" data... like "program images")

Speak to the vendor? You may find a sympathetic soul in tech support who sees no harm in helping out.

Reply to
Don Y