Russian media threatens US with 100-megaton nuclear doomsday device

"If US missiles are deployed in Poland or the Baltic states, they'll be abl e to reach Russia in minutes. In such an event, the way Russia currently co nceives using nuclear weapons, as a retaliatory strike, becomes impossible, since there won't be time to work out which missiles have been launched ag ainst Russia, what their trajectory and their targets are,"

Duh...

"Russia recently said it built one of the most devastating nuclear weapons of all time in the form of an undersea torpedo with a 100-megaton nuclear w arhead that's designed to be unstoppable against all missile defenses and c reate tsunami-size waves, and a radioactive hellstorm that stomps out life on earth for thousands of square miles for decades."

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Someone in Russia has been watching too much Dr Strangelove and fancies building themselves a Doomsday machine with a salted weapon.

The sodium in seawater makes a nuclear groundburst in seawater rather bad for radioactive fallout in the immediate aftermath. Airbursts are preferred by the military to avoid generating excessive fallout.

Any nuclear testing or exchange above ground these days will seriously affect the semiconductor industry for high density ram.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Pentagon has detected an actual test launch, the drone part at least does exist:

"On Nov. 27, 2016, U.S. intelligence detected Status-6 after it was launched from a Sarov-class submarine used to test and validate new tech, the Washington Free Beacon reported in December 2016, citing unnamed Pentagon sources."

Not sure just how reliable this reporting is, they sound rather hysterical:

But the information did make into the Nuclear Posture Review:

"

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Oooh. Jupiter missiles, all over again.

I wonder if the US wants a re-run of the Turkey-Cuban missile crisis. That did wonders for Kennedy's reputation[1], boosted the military-industrial complex, and set the tone of conflict resolution for (at least) half a century.

[1] s/Kennedy/Trump or Pence/
Reply to
Tom Gardner

able

sible,

ons of

and

life

le-crisis/309190/

U.S. doesn't have any intermediate range nuclear tipped missiles in its ent ire inventory. They were all destroyed almost 30 years ago. All they have i n eastern Europe are some bits and pieces of the missile defense system wit h some short range interceptors with kinetic warheads. Israel even bid on t he job with its Arrow anti-missile system, which is probably the most advan ced interceptor extant, but it was rejected possibly because it was just to o capable.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Since Russia pulled out of the nuclear treaty we can just build whatever. Good, more jobs.

Reply to
jurb6006

Good, more jobs.

Or we can give this news the consideration it deserves, try to learn someth ing from the insanity of the 50's military and not build any more nuclear w eapons. Do we really need any more? Didn't we destroy a bunch of them som e years ago? Why would we reverse and build more?

If the guy next door has 100 guns, do you need 200 guns to be safe?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Intermediate range in that area of the world are dangerous because it will force Russia to lessen safeguards against reacting a false alarm detection.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

l force Russia to lessen safeguards against reacting a false alarm detectio n. "

Unfortunate but probably true. Whether or not something actually happens is up in the air.

But always remember that the media pushes you into thinking that everybody is crazy, even Trump. Bullshit.

Think of it, every person on this planet who has the authority to launch a nuke or start a big war is rich, led a semi-sheltered life at least, has ho uses, cars, planes, probably a fifty grand stereo too and enough money to n ever ever run out. (maybe actually even the Brooklyn bridge) They don't wan t to f*ck that up. Putin doesn't own Trump, but Trump doesn't want war, he wants to pick a couple of the biggest cities there and build hotels. (and h e wants to use Russian money to do it, now THAT is how to do business) He d idn't increase his wealth a thousandfold by not being greedy. (and BTW, he NEVER filed bankruptcy and I can prove it)

Trump and Putin are the loose cannons here. Nobody can control either one o f them. While we can trust in their love of their wealth, I wouldn't push i t. you know I don't, but I have been into committing acts of anger. You don 't want that. Well that's how those people are. In fact, after the scam kno wn as the cold war was called off, Russia treated the US with respect, and they backed off on several things to keep the peace.

When it comes to missiles in Poland, we need to back off. Whether Trump bac ks off remains to be seen. That is one thing I cannot predict. Trump, the l oose cannon, shows no definite signs of an agenda other than what he states . Almost everyone else I can backfigure their real goals and know what is l ikely to happen next, but not Trump. He is different and I think that is wh y he scares some people. Well he doesn't scare me. Well very very few thing s do...

Reply to
jurb6006

ill force Russia to lessen safeguards against reacting a false alarm detect ion. "

is up in the air.

[...]

The sites in Poland are there to catch an ICBM coming out of places like Ir an and heading for central/ western Europe. If something like that happens, Russia may not know where it originated, and think it's one of ours. A fan atical leadership will think the resulting mutual annihilation is great.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

will force Russia to lessen safeguards against reacting a false alarm dete ction. "

s is up in the air.

[...]

Or maybe they're there for "mopping up" whatever Russian missiles are left after a massive first strike. See "nuclear primacy".

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

e:

e:

it will force Russia to lessen safeguards against reacting a false alarm de tection. "

ens is up in the air.

[...]

They're not going to mop them up in flight. There is great circle mapper h ere:

The trajectory from Moscow (SVO) to DC (IAD) takes the missile way north to Finland, then mid-peninsula Scandinavia, then dead center Iceland, south t o Newfoundland and Labrador through New Brunswick, to Maine etc to DC... Main thing it's way out of range of anything in Poland.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred