Running Unix Program in Windows??

I know there are shells to allow running a Windows program in Unix.

Is there like-wise a method to run a Unix-based program in Windows?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

I always wanted to try this....

There are other options though.

Martin Riddle

Besides setting up a virtual machine, which isn't really what you asked for, here are a few approaches.

Unix

Linux

flipper

flipper wrote: (X-No-Archive)

Note that all three approaches require you to have the source code so you can recompile it for the new platform.

Don't you just hate X-No-Archive? ...especially when the dude is using a nym anyway.

Reply to
JeffM

message

Often the best way is to install Cygwin and recompile the *nix app. I'm a huge Cygwin fan.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs.

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

message

Cadence Virtuoso ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Possible. As people have mentioned. But can you afford the performance hit for a CAD Program of going through additional layers like that?

A separate Linux box would be pretty cheap nowadays.

Robert H.

Reply to
Robert

"Jim Thompson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hello Jim,

I have read you want run Virtuoso. In this case you have only one chance. Run it with their recommended version of Redhat Linux. Either install it parallel to WIN on your PC or on another PC.

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

VMWare Workstation. Works great.

Reply to
Guy Macon

"Jim Thompson" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Cadence Virtuoso - Expensive name like that sounds like it wants Solaris!

Your best bet might be to get Solaris 10 off SUN Microsystems, install Solaris on an x86/x64 (which would be Athlon64 or Intel equivalent) PC and use that: It happens to be Gratis (not free ;-)

.

If Cadence Virtuoso is for the SPARC architecture you might be screwed ... err ... have to rent a real SUN box.

A.F.A.I.K Linux has an emulation layer for running Solaris binaries - but, maybe, it is not used often enough to find all bugs ;-) Going that way you should at least get one of the big distros, SUSE f.ex. I would try Solaris first, though.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen