Rubbery conductive 'ink'

Hi all,

I'm working on a project, the sensitive part of which will live in a milled-from-solid enclosure- RF style.

In order to contact the defensive walls with PCB traces (with copious via stitching) I've seen a conductive rubbery material that is screened or CNC deposited on the relevant edges so that the PCB moat seals electricaLLY nice and tight to the metal and very little unwanted RF gets in or out or between compartments.

Any suggestions as to what materials are best for performance (and hopefully reasonably easy to procure)?

Thanks!

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Try asking these people:

Most of their products last much longer if kept in a fridge or ideally a freezer.

Reply to
Chris Jones

There are pre-formed EMI gaskets available for this. Google "conductive elastomer"

Reply to
Mark White

Thanks, it's going to be a complex structure so if I used a preformed conductive elastomer gasket I'd have to get it CNC cut and it would be kind of a spider web .. not sure that would work unless it could be CNC knife cut onto a substrate that remains intact until it's applied. I've gotten non-conductive gaskets cut other ways (including water jet) but that won't work.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

do a search on "conductive caulk"

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Tradename BARE conductive ink, used for laying conductive tracks on textiles etc, so presumably somewhat flexible, but conductive enough, bulkable enough?

Reply to
N_Cook

On Sun, 29 May 2016 09:15:13 +0100, N_Cook Gave us:

It is so that it will not crack when flexed and become discontinuous.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yes, but they'll be narrow walls between so I don't think handling it would work.

This sort of thing with the board sandwiched between two machined pieces:

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Spehro Pefhany

Couldn't you separate sections into regular shapes?

Internal requirements differ from those exposed to the external environment, so it might be possible to split that function, as well.

RL

Reply to
legg

So the gasket has to allow for the entire board's thickness? I don't think that is normally expected of an EM gasket. Normally the case will mate with an added provision for gasket placement within the wall edge.

You should decouple board mounting function and case seam function.

RL

Reply to
legg

No, it's to fill a gap (which I will specify) between the board and the sealing wall (on each side of the board).

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I'm lost.

It's the wall or it's the seal. The board can't provide a seal, though it might be wedged into it, in non-critical locations.

You can gasket the board-edge to the wall (why?) or gasket the seal to itself.

Either could use leaf-spings, which would do a better job for EMC than an elastomer.

RL

Reply to
legg

I'm not explaining this very well, obviously.

Suppose you invert an ice-cube tray on a PCB. The same on the bottom of the PCB. The board is the size of the whole tray. Wherever the wall is (each compartment), you have a bare gold ground ring with stitched vias through. The board and walls won't be perfectly flat so there needs to be some compliance to get complete contact.

So imagine maybe a nominal 0.01" of gap filled with 0.015" of conductive rubbery gasket stuff down the middle that squeezes a bit to reduce the gap to the mechanically imposed 0.01". Result is many EMI-sealed compartments. In my case, the compartments will be irregular shapes.

It's the flat surface of the board on both sides, not the edge.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

How about a dispensed conductive gasket

It adds another process step but has the advantage that it is guaranteed to stay in place during assembly.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Perfect! That's the stuff - and Laird is the source for the material.

Thanks, Reinhardt.

--sp

--
Best regards,