rotary encoder or an incremental encoder sensor

I'm looking for make a rotary encoder or an incremental encoder. I bought a IR transmitter receiver from sparkfundotcom.

I was hoping to use it to detect black and white transitions on a black and white vinyl decal. But it really didnt work. The problem is that the lines are pretty small. They are about .070 wide/thick. .070" black line, .070" white line, .070" black line, etc. I was thinking of getting the the QRB1134 phototransistor detector kit but it has to be at least .250 inches wide/thick.

It is found here.

I have to get something that can see smaller lines. The transition lines (black to white) would be travelling pretty fast so resolution is critical. Do you have any suggestions on something I can buy to see these lines? I sure would appreciate any input that you might have. Please be specific. If you don't want to post, please send me an email at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net so we can talk further.

Thanks alot,

Todd

Reply to
Todd

How about an optical mouse?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Use the Moire effect by placing another (fixed) grid of lines on top of the first, slightly angled. The moving patterns will cover a larger area and be easier to detect

Dave

Reply to
Dave

check out the Austrian Microsystem Rotary Encoders

AS5040 and other AS504x

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Look at the HLC2705. This is part of a normal 'mouse' encoder, comprising two detectors in one package, and designed to work with a line spacing down to 0.036". It needs a seperate illumination source, but is small, and already contains step/direction decoding internally. It can be used with reflective surfaces (but is primarily designed for transmissive use).

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

I think you may need a graticule, or at least a narrow slit. Im thinking of making a graticule myself with .08mm pitch using some 0.04mm relay wire.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin