Roll your own microphone

Does anyone have any links to sites where people are making their own microphones of decent quality?

I'm not going to do it -- just entertain myself on a Saturday. I'm fascinated by the capacitive microphone that uses a 100V (or whatever) bias plus an itty bitty tube as a preamp.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

not capacitive but:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

** Never heard of Google ?

** It's not a viable idea in terms of cost - cos you can buy them new so cheaply now.

Mic, PSU, XLR cable, accessories and carry case for US$188.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Search for a "condenser microphone".

Made in Santa Cruz CA:

Do-it-thyself: Plenty to choose from.

Have fun...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Why not use the capacitance variation to modulate an RF oscillator frequency? The s/n would be outrageous.

lunatic fringe electronics

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sennheiser MKH and probably others work like that

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Broadcast quality? Like BBC newsreaders use? What type of mic out of the many variants available gives the best fidelity in this kind of application where voice reproduction quality is key?

Reply to
Chris

They have a fixed frequency oscillator and the mic capacitance variation detunes the FM demodulator, which achieves essentially the same effect.

The fixed frequency come from a crystal oscillator (for low FM noise).

I found this out when I reverse engineered a Sennheiser MKH 816T microphone back in the '80s. Someone had asked me to fix it, but it turned out that that it wasn't broken at all; they were just using the wrong sort of phantom supply. (I ended up building a crude phantom supply out of a 7812 regulator and a 1:1 audio transformer. It worked adequately well.)

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

** Why so ?

The dynamic range of dynamic mic is about 135dB.

The dynamic range of a good, DC biased condenser mic is even better.

Condenser mics using FM were tried, but soon abandoned for a variation using AM instead - cos the latter were much quieter.

Even so, DC biased types dominate the market by a huge factor.

Sometimes the simplest idea is the best.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That standard has dropped quite a lot in recent years... microphone quality is comprimised by visual appearance.

This is most noticable when the commonly used revers microphone breaks down and the audio technician quickly hands a classic microphone to be used instead. The difference in audio quality is really staggering.

Reply to
Rob

No idea what you mean by "revers" and "classic" microphones.

Reply to
Chris

Outrageous good, or outrageous bad? I was thinking of doing that, actually.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Good, I think.

I think that, for good s/n, a little diaphragm motion should steer a lot of power. So a chunky RF oscillator might do that.

I guess any good microphone will ultimately be limited by vibration and Brownian motion. I think a bigger diaphragm is better as regards Brownian noise. Maybe a ribbon mic with capacitive, rather than magnetic sensing? Has that been done?

There are probably few applications that need a really low-noise microphone. There will usually be a lot of ambient noise.

lunatic fringe electronics

In the case of small electret mics used in hearing aids about half the noise comes from brownian motion of the air molecules and half from the FET amplifier.

Especially subsonic noise. Omni-directional electret mics often have small holes laser-punched in the diaphragm to provide a well defined low frequenct leak. Otherwise the mic output saturates when doors are closed.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

** BBC TV news newsreaders invariably wear a small lapel mic - likely an Omni pattern electret. This has low visibility, moves with them and gives a good result.

Classic mic probably refers to something mounted on a stand, likely a true condenser with Cardioid pattern. The result is quite different, more low end and less ambience so "intimate" sounding.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Reply to
Adrian Tuddenham

Very cool. Synchronous rectification in 1963.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

In message , Lasse Langwadt Christensen writes

There seems to have been an interest in electrostactic acoustid device some time ago.

Not quite a microphone, but it will work in reverse.

and

preamp design

.pdf

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Reply to

I built myself a pair of those when I was at school. They sounded very good, but I got fed up with getting electric shocks because of my poorly constructed housing.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker