RoHS & NOS Parts

What's the situation with RoHS rules and NOS parts, ie from pre-RoHS, and also used parts post RoHS? On gov uk site I didnt find the content of the relevant legislation. We could sell quite a lot if its legal, but is it?

thanks, NT

Reply to
meow2222

IT equipment and military use is exempt from RoHS. Also some parts of medical equipment is also exempt.

The general rule was/is if there is no reliable replacement then the part is exempt if it is not specifically declared in the regulations.

Martin Riddle

They're just components. Where would I find the Act that covers this?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've found more info, but its still far from clear. The definition of EEE is as plain as mud - does it include comonents or not? Does RoHS apply to used goods or not? 2006 RoHS did not, but later versions I'm not clear.

Just to clarify what we have is mostly used but still perfectly saleable components rather than NOS. There is some NOS too.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

and also used parts post RoHS? On gov uk site I didnt find the content of t he relevant legislation. We could sell quite a lot if its legal, but is it?

all the big distributors sell components that are not ROHS. Those who build stuff that are exempt have to buy parts too

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Otherwise known as RoHS2 or RoHS Recast

Martin Riddle

Its the equipment that matters and not specifically the components. If the equipment is exempt from RoHS, only then can the equipment use non-RoHS components.

Anther use for non-RoHS components is in the repair of pre-RoHS equipment.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

There is a problem for buyers in RoHS exempt high-reliability industries. As there is a serious mark-up on guaranteed non-RoHS components, I'm aware (from a medical equipment manufacturer) of false manifests/documentation , passing RoHS off as non-RoHS. So if you have dating provenance of the stock, you're potentially on to winner. How the aging NOS factor comes into the equation, ie bath-tub curve failure, no knowledge

Reply to
N_Cook

nd also used parts post RoHS? On gov uk site I didnt find the content of th e relevant legislation. We could sell quite a lot if its legal, but is it?

We have nothing like that. There are just componenets with no RoHS paperwor k, a significant percentage of which we know are not RoHS. Some are NOS, so me are used, some are recycled. There is no documentation to tell us which is which. I cant find any sort of clear answer anywhere regarding how RoHS applies or doesnt apply to them - other than that they cant be incorporated into new retail products in a wide range of categories.

Perhaps the sale of non-RoHS components is 100% unrestrictedly legal, it is only their subsequent use by buyers that's controlled. It seems to hinge o n the definition of EEE, which seems uselessly vague.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Won't the part number and date be a real give-away?

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

If you mean to what's RoHS & what isn't, not really. And many aren't dated.

NT

Reply to
meow2222