Rogowski transformer query

It sure is, but that's beside the point. (I've built superconducting persistent-current magnets, back in my misspent youth.)

If the coupling is small, the leakage inductance is enormous, resistance or no resistance.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

-- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electro> >

mode tube and stabilizes the optical frequency by monitoring a beat frequency between the modes. The beat frequency is 450-600 MHz and is sensed from the waste beam at the back of the laser tube. For a prototype I used an amplified moderately high speed Si detector that fed into a 12 bit 125 MSPS DAC. This data was then sent to the computer , bandpass filtered and Fourier transformed to determine the signal frequency. This frequency was then fed into a PID algorithm whose output controlled a heater that would heat the tube to stabilize its length.

that could work in this scenario? It does not need to be exceedingly fast since the PID loop time constant is on the order of seconds. I've noticed that Analog Devices has an IC for Freq to Voltage conversion. A PLL may be useful as well. Not looking for specifics, just suggestions as to the best path forward.

-- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net

Phil Hobbs

But that leakage inductance doesn't absorb energy. The spinning superconducting generator doesn't slow down as a result. Series inductance is kept high in transformers, because an unloaded secondary means energy wasted in the resistance. Uncoupled inductance is kept low because it too wastes energy in copper losses. Superconductors change the rules, by about eight orders of magnitude.

Reply to
whit3rd