RLC bridge

It's end-of-FY toy buying time, and I'm thinking about getting an RLC bridge. The SRS SR720 is an option. Any opinions or suggestions?

--

John Larkin, President Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation

Have one. Kinda '70s technology but seems to work nicely enough.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

We've got one. 100kHz max frequency, I sometimes get some weird inductance readings... but I'm probably not 'flying it' correctly. It's great for matching caps in filter circuits. (I had this design using 1% caps from Panasonic.. then the caps went away.) We don't use half the features that are built into the thing.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

A lot of people swear by this one but I personally don't have experience with it:

If you want to go all out, I have a HP4191A. Goes from 1MHz to 1GHz. Mine has the 100Hz fine-step option but that's only needed for folks who have to also measure crystal parameters or highly resonant forensic stuff. But that machine is friggin' heavy and big. Most come with a spring clip fixture for SMT (HP-16092A).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have one of those, and while it does work fine for many needs (I used it mostly when winding my own coils and transformers for switchers), for RF usage it's not quite so attractive in that it fundamentally is a "the inductance changes the frequency of an oscillator, which is then measured"-type unit, and sometimes you'd really prefer a fixed-frequency going into your unknown coils (or caps).

But the price is hard to beat!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I got a Tonghui TH2821A. You might remember Mike and I discussing it on this forum. He pointed it out, I got excited about it and got one myself. I've been delighted with it. I do wish it would go above 10kHz, tho.

John S

Reply to
John S

I have an AADE, and it's great for small-value caps and inductors. But it doesn't handle bigger values, doesn't measure Q, and you don't know the measurement frequency.

The HP does look like overkill, and wouldn't be good for LF stuff like power inductors.

--

http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

If John want to go that route, then the 4194A is a better choice...

100Hz to 40MHz, or 10kHz to 100MHz with a 41941A hand probe which is handy for PCB measurements,... and a full frequency range screen plot is definitely nicer than just spot measurement.

Over time I've got a 4275A, 4195A VNA, 4192A, 4194A and then 4191A. (call me nut, but considering the price I got them it was hard to resist)

The 4194A or 4192A(13MHz) get the most used. (and they also offer gain/phase analysis)

For some tricky measurements the 4195A gets fired.

The 4191A was just turned on for checking when received. Maybe I'll have to use it some day...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Those I usually do with the network analyzer which goes down to 5Hz.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Some day I want to try it with the Signalhound and track gen. That goes to 4.4GHz.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

John Larkin a écrit :

Hmmm, for power inductors Wayne Kerr have some nice ones that pops up from time to time on the bay...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Yeah, but now that you're decided not to pack your 8566 on trips to clients anymore -- using the Signalhound instead -- we're all waiting to hear what you think of the various would-be 3577 replacements once you decide to finally purchase one. :-)

The 3577B is still an amazing machine, even some 20+ year on here... too bad they aren't exactly carry-on luggage...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yes, didn't know he was more interested in low frequency stuff. You just can't do >100MHz with the 4194.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have a set of Smart Tweezers that I'm very fond of. Not the same range of capability, but they work great on teensy SMDs.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

...or if he's feeling well-heeled, the Agilent E5061B is quite drool-worthy:

Joel Koltner

Thing is, one rarely needs a network analyzer on the road. At least not one with true vector accuracy. I can take the track gen along and that allows me to check filters at clients. If I find I have to investigate transducers or antenna structures a lot some day I'll just build or buy a directional coupler from Mini-Circuits. Well, probably I won't roll my own since the TSA guys might frown unless I put it in a somewhat official looking enclosure.

That Signalhound is amazing. I just did an EMC pre-compliance job with it, the client then went to the lab and sailed through class B without a hitch. The antennas I used were a bit hokey but all this saved the client over a kilobuck in rental fees. Plus I didn't have to get off the Interstate to pick up the rental gear, could cruise right on through.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

How about doing this with a network analyzer you've already got and applying these end-of-FY funds towards a more worthy cause: A refrigerated tap installation and a keg of Anchor Steam OBA. I am quite sure Rob would agree :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You might take a look at this.

Goes to 1.3 GHz.

tm

Reply to
tm

Interesting. Can't find a manual on that web site but if it goes to

1.3GHz and is accurate that would be great. A lot of stuff is going towards a "faceless box" with a USB cable. Which is a good thing, makes it all rather low cost, light in weight and small.

Sometimes I wonder if the bigshot test equipment manufacturers truly realize that all that can turn into a steamroller, and fast. I can't see them getting ready for this. There's the old saying: You can either become part of the steamroller or part of the road :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

How can you drink that stuff? Tastes like some sort of roofing adhesive to me. I don't drink anything I can't see daylight through.

I don't have a network analyzer, and don't really want one. We live in the time domain, and don't (makes scowling face) particularly care for sine waves.

We do have an environmental test chamber big enough for a keg. It goes to -60C, in case you like your beer cold.