RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

It worked, and the customer was happy with his early Japanese all Germanium stereo. I always wondered if I should have sent it out to Earl Schibe for a new paint job? ;-)

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In any application, Phenolic is brittle and can easily be broken,
especially when drilling mounting holes close to corners.

FR4, (G10) OTOH, is pretty much indestructible.
Reply to
John Fields

Nah. You just have to be smarter than the phenolic. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Jim Thompson Inscribed thus:

You laugh all you want ! I've done similar where the scan coil connector has burnt holes in the PCB because of bad solder joints. Cut away the burnt area and used Araldite to fill the hole sandwiched between strips of wax paper. Replace the connector and use copper wire the re-establish the connections.

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

Fiberglass (FRP) burn holes are trickier. I once glass-bead-blasted a dead 'un to get rid of the char, then applied Q-dope to the mat of glass fibers. It nearly looked good when it was all done, and my trusty old Buick got a Mark X electronic ignition for nearly free. I recall that as the last time I used Germanium transistors from my junk box.

Reply to
whit3rd

Good point, if you were making a 1960's TV ;)

Reply to
flipper

I find score and snap to size a convenience 'feature'.

Don't drill that close.

It's also more expensive, which is fine if cost is no object.

Reply to
flipper

My Dad's trucks featured a sign, "We Don't Service Muntz" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

LOL

Well, they didn't call him "Madman" Muntz for nothing, you know.

Reply to
flipper

He serviced them for awhile. Then customers started complaining that my Dad did poor service... as soon as the tubes aged, the reception degenerated. So he dumped Muntz altogether.

Not that it mattered. Though he was located in Huntington, WV, he became the largest RCA dealer on the east coast for many years. He even played golf with David Sarnoff on a regular basis. (Met him on the Greenbrier golf course at White Sulphur Springs, WV, and they hit it right off. My father was consistently a par player (*)... even into his 80's :-)

(*) With five holes-in-one to his credit... Spring Valley and Guyandotte Country Clubs. Died in 2008 at age 90. ...Jim Thompson

Yeah, I knew exactly what his sign meant and why. Muntz TV sets had barely enough parts to work at all, which is why they were uber cheap.

"There's something about a Muntz." You be there was; it's only one step above junk.

Reply to
flipper

Above?

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What's real fun is cutting away a burnt spot on a wafer on a rotary switch, and patching it without changing the alignment of the contacts. :) I did that to an old RCA VTVM back in the mid '70s.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sure. Out of the box they usually worked for 'some' period of time. That's a bit better than junk.

Reply to
flipper

I never saw on 'just out of the box'. Like Packard Bell, we didn't see them in our area till they WERE junk.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

breadboard

Well, just about everything ends up there sooner or later but Muntz TVs started off closer to the heap.

Reply to
flipper

breadboard

resistant

I only saw one of them, but that was enough. It looked like it was built from pre W.W. II surplus.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

breadboard

resistant

Could be, I suppose, but WWII surplus seems a lot more likely as the country was darn near swimming in the stuff there for a while.

Reply to
flipper

breadboard

resistant

Let's just say I received better quality surplus components by the pound from PolyPaks, Meshna and other places in the early '70s.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, shoot, by the early/mid 70's you'd have been looking at 15 year old sets, at least, since 1959 was the last year of production.

Reply to
flipper