Rigol scope settings

A protocol analyzer is a much better tool for I2C/SPI debugging than a generalized logic analyzer and a lot cheaper. We use the Aardvark/Beagle from TotalPhase but even that level of debug isn't very common. I2C and SPI don't seem to be what causes trouble anymore. There was one time there was confusion between a "-A" part and the original release, that caused some consternation but that was a misunderstanding of the part. The protocol analyzer told us that it was working right but didn't tell us we were wrong. ;-)

krw

That's really 90% of what I use a scope for but you don't have to look up with one of the probes.

;-)

Before that: Is the power on? Check. Are all power supplies working/enabled? Check. Next

Reply to
krw

.com:

eal.com:

:

for

og

DSO

us

in

eeze

em is

big

ry depth

scopes

most of the cheap usb based ones can do both, the protocol decoding is just software

I can see the advantage of a scope with build in LA in that you can get bot h analog and logic/protocol on the same picture

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yeah, one might have been able to use a logic analyzer to trace/debug code. In 1987. It's not the 80s anymore; at the low end everything is integrated on-die, at the high end the processor is connected to a couple sticks of DDR4 at bus clocks pushing 1 GHz through a bajillion tiny traces.

Reply to
bitrex

There's a reason logic analyzers sell for next to nothing

Reply to
bitrex

I repaired hundreds of Commodore 64 computers with a Radio Shack logic probe. It's probably still in a workbench drawer out in the main shop, wich is three bays of the garage.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

treal.com:

x:

for

og

DSO

us

in

eeze

em is

big

mory depth

t scopes

you cat get a lot of info by toggling a few spare IOs

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I connect an 0603 LED to at least one spare I/O of each programmable chip and others that have spare (or re-use another) GPIOs. Software types appreciate them and they can be deleted from the final BOM, so cost nothing.

Reply to
krw