RFID device zapper unveiled at 22nd Chaos Communication Congress

(Note you may get a 'site certificate' error)

Interesting - works on the good old principle of energy overload (EMP lite?)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

On what charge? ;)~

Seriously though, all punsmanship aside, what's illegal about generating an electromagnetic field near a semiconductor that you own?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Gotta agree - if I buy something that happens to have an RFID tag, what's illegal about me blowing it away? I could see the point if I went to the local WalMart / ASDA with an EMP generator ;)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Maybe, maybe not. I sorta like the idea of keeping the store honest - when I want the tag zapped, I mean zapped, not 'asleep'.

They can also be sent to sleep - and reactivated later. Lots of mealy mouth answers from manufacturers on that issue - enough that I don't trust them. Like I said, if it's mine, I'll zap it if I wanna ;)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Yep. Get caught with one and do hard time, and good riddance ;-)

...Jim Thompson

That's my point. Just because an object has the potential to be used for illegal purposes doesn't make the thing itself illegal. You could walk into a store with an EMP RFID zapper in one hand and a shopping bag in the other and use one to defeat the anti theft device and the other to conceal stolen property if you were of such a mind. Do we need to register and regulate the use of bags too?

Bob

PS I live in California where we have a Goddamned law, regulation, code, tax and fee on everything imaginable, so I'm a bit touchy on the topic.

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Do you seriously believe that developers of an RFID zapper are doing it for "personal privacy" reasons? They're common thieves, of the same ilk as those who think music IP should be free.

Clothing RFID tags are normally zapped at POS (point-of-sale) so you can go out the door without alarming.

Since I've been involved in the development of several RFID systems maybe I should add explosive results from field overload ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Watching too many soap operas, or reading too many sci-fi magazines?

Where are you getting these BS ideas?

...Jim Thompson

I just love those terms "sharing" and "for educational purposes only" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Not a problem. That's what tinfoil hats are for. ;)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

No need to. Fingers have been barcoded for millennia. Even works to distinguish identical twins, unlike DNA.

Reply to
Richard Henry

So you've been Californicated ?:-)

Can someone demonstrate the existence of a "smart" RFID tag that resides on a consumer product? I don't think so. I think you're being paranoid.

The range of passive tags is a few feet.

I know of very damn few active tags that can do much more than ten feet.

Privacy or theft ?:-)

(Besides... didn't you know that your skull was bar coded at birth? You just haven't looked up there ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Bwahahahahaha!

...Jim Thompson

Natch!

...Jim Thompson

Please do not confuse sharing (of information) with stealing (of stuff that costs money to replace).

Ignoramus2491

Probably from looking at his browser cookie cache. ;-) I have to side with the "only good RFID tag is a dead RFID" folks. I certainly feel within my rights to kill any after I've made a product purchase. I really don't think that it will be long before we all see the wide spectrum of wrongdoings that can be committed via RFID technology, especially by marketing types.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont