RF receiver interfacing to processor GPIO

I have 433Mhz RF receiver whose output is connected to the processor for d= ecoding the transmitted codes. Both the RF receiver and micro are at 3.3V l= ogic levels. Output of the RF receiver is fine (swinging 3.2V for logic HIG= H and 0V for logic LOW)as viewed on the oscilloscope and logic analyzer. Bu= t when I connect the receiver output to the GPIO input pin of the processor= the HIGH level is dropping down to 1V. i.e Logic HIGH is going up to 1V on= ly. So the processor is not recognizing the logic HIGHs. I verified the pr= ocessor GPIO input by giving it 3.3V supply as input (with appropriate curr= ent limiting resistor) and this is not going down to 1V but remains 3.3V an= d processor recognizing it as logic HIGH. This rules out any problem on the= processor side or software.

What could be the problem? Is the drive strength of RF receiver output not = sufficient for the processor input? Will the voltage drop in such a scenari= o?=20

As per the I.mx23 processor datasheet, the GPIOs can source or sink 3mA. Th= e drive strengths of the RF receiver is not available as the IC=92s marking= was erased by the module manufacturer and hence couldn=92t get the no data= sheet. Tried the connection with series current limiting resistor of variou= s values from 1k upto 1M. After around 500K the signal level increases tow= ards 3.3V but the edges are distorted. At 1M the logic HIGH gets to close t= o 3.3V but the signal and edges are severely distorted and hence not useful= .

RF receiver VDD range is 3V to 6V. So I tried with 5V supply with resistor = divider at output to match the 5V level to 3.3V level. Tried different valu= es for the output divider to convert 5V level to 3.3V level but anything le= ss than 750K for R2 (resistor to ground in voltage divider) the output does= n=92t raise beyond 1V. So used appropriate R1 with 750K for R2 to get the c= orrect 3.3V level but the signal is severely distorted as in the above case= .=20

Tried the transistor (2N2222) switch as buffer and this seem to have solved= the issue but the switching delays are altering the pulse width. Since RF = receiver output is recognized as 1 or 0 based on the pulse width this solut= ion is also not useful.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Can=92t use any buffer ICs due to board sp= ace and cost issues.=20

Reply to
sridhar09.cherukuri

and cost issues.

Things to check:

  1. Is your GPIO set for input or output? Upon reset, the default is input, but don't count on it staying there. From your description, I would guess(tm) that it's in output mode and set low.
  2. Is there any RF coming from the receiver on the output pin? If you're connected directly to the receiver chip, it's possible.
  3. Inserting a 2N2222 between the receiver and the GPIO pin, and then having it slow down the data (rate, risetime, waveform, what?) is improbable. Unless you're charging some capacitors (bypasses?) around the 2N2222, that's not going to happen. Something else is happening, which I suspect is related to the original problem.

This might help on interfacing to GPIO:

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The ST micro that I'm using right now comes out of reset in input with weak pull-down resistors that you have to turn off.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

That's the sane way to do it (assuming, of course, that reset is negative active). I *always* pull resets down (usually with something like a 47K), just in case.

Reply to
krw

If your processor isn't implementing a weak pull down (which sure sounds like the problem), try coming off of your radio into a 1-gate CMOS buffer.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott