Reputation trap

Good article on the reputation trap, ignore cold fusion references and be enlightened by the philosophical treatment.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Thanks, Mike, good link! ...Jim Thompson

Jim, I was ready for negative *remarks and sarcasm, but it is an interesting article, whatever anyone thinks of LENR. So I'm happy to take your response as sincere. :-) Mikek

  • because of the reference to LENR.
Reply to
amdx

Mike,

There's a lot of bias and prejudice among "scientists"... almost a religious fervor for their own point of view.

I find it profoundly annoying... which is why I pick on PhD's all the time >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Yeah, it's a bit like the approach many engineers have to electricians.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

The "sociology of science." Classic.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

That's almost as bad as "the science of sociology."

lunatic fringe electronics

I think it's worse. One's pretense, the other's indictment.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

old-fusion

It isn't exactly science yet. Nobody seems to have come up with a reproduci ble experiment. There may be something odd going on, but until somebody pub lishes a description that an independent group can use to build a device th at gives the same result, science doesn't really come into it.

Rossi is reported to be doing something like that, but without publication, the alternative hypothesis is that he's found a good way of making it look as if his device is generating energy. Quite a few people have claimed to have discovered perpetual motion machines, and have come up with devices th at look as if they work. "Cold fusion" is more plausible than perpetual mot ion, but equally susceptible to the same kind of faking.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

As if James Arthur knew anything about science or sociology. Or anything he wasn't prepared to set aside if the Tea Party told him to ignore it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I take it you were being ironic ;-)

Unless *AND* until the LENR conman produces some isotopic evidence of the nuclear ash resulting from his so called "fusion" he will remain a charlatan exploiting the credulous and gullible in equal measure.

I am *very* surprised that you have been taken in by this LENR scam!

He has previous convictions in Italy for fraud!

Skip to Part 5 to see the similarities in the MO with eCat/LENR.

PS Anyone can fake a few ug sample of "nuclear ash" by buying in isotopic reference materials but if he really was doing cold fusion then he would be producing at least mg and possibly g quantities of the stuff which would be pretty much impossible to fake without an insane budget to purchase the isotopically enriched materials.

You can buy almost any element isotopically enriched today for a high enough price in miniscule quantities.

By comparison spiking fake gold mine claims with gold reagents is quite cheap and also easily detected by ICPMS fingerprinting.

Scientists don't rule out cold fusion but they are pretty good at spotting claims that are "TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE" *AND* "UNSUPPORTED BY ANY CREDIBLE EVIDENCE". Basically it is put up or shut up time.

Good luck to him if he can keep taking money off credulous fools.

Tricking a "true" RMS power meter to under read with a dodgy waveform is nothing remotely like cold fusion.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I believe Jim and I both were commenting on the sociology of science aspects, not LENR.

The author makes a few points in LENR's favor, but I find the overall human evidence on LENR beyond damning. Far too many silly excuses.

If it really worked, they'd just set up a small power station and start raking in the bucks. That money could fund a larger station then it's off to the races, and Bob would be their uncle.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

[snip]

Yes. The "envious hens" syndrome >:-}

...Jim Thompson

I believe that is what Rossi claims he is doing. He sold the first unit to someone who is checking it out --- for nearly two years I've read... Maybe someday they will be done with the evaluation and Rossi can get paid and build another unit. Or maybe they will find it produces no more power than is put into it via electricity.

As many have observed, if the unit worked, why can't it use the power it generates to keep the reaction going? In other words, start the unit going and then disconnect it from outside power totally. Then it would be very easy to show it works.

--

Rick
Reply to

That has been a point for so long, I'm disappointed no one has used DC. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

-- >Bill Sloman, Sydney

Here's a new theory of LENR,

Also a quote from the author about the scientist and his reputation trap.

still be described as a fusion. Neutron capture means that a free neutron is merged with a nucleus/element which is thereby transmuted to a heavier isotope of the same element (for example 58Ni + 2n -> 60Ni + energy). The problem is probably the terror that has developed over the years for touching the term cold fusion (and LENR).? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Even small power stations cost a lot of money. The obvious entry level product is the portable generator, and even that's got to be mass produced if it's going to sell at a competitive price, which implies serious capital investment.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:

s and

-of-cold-fusion

ting

ects,

Not at all obvious amongst the scientists I know. In general scientists lik e to be surprised by an unexpected discovery, and write glowing promotion l etters about people who make them.

Jim obviously moves in different circles, and has been known to sound like an envious hen, resentful that his "innovations" hadn't got instant admirat ion from the Ph.D. holders he runs into. Having tried to use the MC1495, I think I can understand the shortfall on admiration.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It's word salad. I'd already gone to trouble of following the the link when you originally posted it, and downloaded and read the actual .pdf .

There are absolutely no details about what Rossi's machine actually looks like, or the physical conditions inside his reaction cell. It's certainly not the kind of information that you could use to build a copy of the device.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

He doesn't have to sell any.

A 1MW unit's output would sell for $120/hr, U.S. retail, and 3-5x that in Europe. Make *one*. That's >2M Euros per year. Then make a 2nd.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat