Replacing my electronic parts supply after Hurricane Micheal

Hi all, I had several part drawer units filled with resistors, capacitors, ICs, Feet, Diodes, FETs, and more all for personal hobby use. After the shingles and roof panels left the drywall came down and let the water in. My drawers were filled with water. I don't want to count every part. Do you have a favorite parts rack filled with 1/4 watt resistors 5%. A rack of Electrolytics and another of Ceramics. I probably can salvage enough transistors to keep any projects going. I had bought a lot of the parts from the company I used to work at when it closed. So I had much more than I would ever need. Mikek

amdx

Did the water destroy them? I remember when a friend got a "salvaged" ham radio transceiver from a boat that had sunk. Despite the fact that the water there had high salinity the thing still worked after a thorough low-temp bake.

This may be the perfect time to switch to SMT. I did in 1986. There you can get nice resistor kits with thousands in there at Amazon and other places and the whole thing is smaller than "Art of Electronics". For lab experiments and small projects I stick to 0805 size because my eye don't get better with age.

If it has to be through-hole there is a lot as well:

Mostly what you'll get nowadays is 1% resistors but in 5% or 10% stagger to cut down on the variety, kit size and cost.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Just wash them, should be as good a new then. I've been doing that for a long time. Relays & speakers of course don't like it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

PS don't hot wash with an aggressive dishwasher tablet/powder, that tarnishes the metal surface.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I remember Hewlett Packard telling the story of an HP-1000 computer that was aboard a (Navy?) ship that sank. The computer was recovered after a week or two, and the innards hosed off and allowed to dry, before it was successfully rebooted. Presumably with a different disk drive... So the story goes anyhow.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Probably all still good, just need more flux when soldering. If you're doing reflow any moisture sensitive parts will need baking.

Jasen Betts

I could probably salvage some but, the wall the racks were on tipped in about 20* from vertical, many drawers opened and spilled there contents, also they then got filled with water. I have many floor sweepings, and don't want to go through thousands of resistors sorting for value.

That's a good idea, but I need to get prices to replace my existing damaged items. I expect to get a check and then I can buy whatever type parts I want.

That's great! And cheaper than expected. I'll look further and see if I can find a capacitor kit. Electrolytic and ceramic.

Thanks, Mikek

amdx

It's just not worth the time and effort to sort and measure values of the mess Mikek

amdx

Understandable, especially since this stuff is easily replaceable at low cost.

Sometimes Craigslist will have something, for example, after a ham radio operator passed away and none of the relative wants the parts rack.

Just scroll down to the"customers also bought" and "customers also shopped for"and other categories show up, like this:

With electrolytic caps you should inquire about the brand and series through, there are huge quality differences. It might make sense to spend more money on that kit to get real Panasonic caps or similar.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

fair nuff it it's low value stuff. A young relative might make money hosing it off, letting it dry & selling it as is in batches.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

After washing put them in a closed bucket with a few bags of rice. Works for cell phones.

Martin Riddle

far more effective to leave them in the open to dry.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr