Replace the cord on all radios, tvs and other electronics every five years.

The cords used on radios, televisions, and other electronics are 18ga or 16ga copper wire encased in plastic. It's a little known fact that every year those cords lose 10% of their electrons. By the 7th or 8th year, these cords are incapable of providing enough power to the electronic devices, which causes the electronics to fail. After ten years, these cords can hardly transfer any electric current, because there are few electrons left to carry the current. At this stage, all electronics fail due to a lack of proper voltage and amperage coming from the power source.

There is no known way to replenish the electrons in these copper cords, so they must be replaced at least every five years. It's recommended to replace them every three years on costly equipment to eliminate electronic component failure.

You can increase the life span of cords by using a thicker copper wire, such as 12ga or 10ga, but it is still recommended that they be replaced at least every eight years.

Reply to
dannyboy

In message , snipped-for-privacy@altro.com writes

Only the ones used on DC, but you can get a year extra by reversing them.

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Reply to

Put them in a microwave for 30 seconds and all the electrons will be restored to 100%

TTman

I think you should be more aware of them losing the plasticizers (is that correct English? Google translate says so...) causing risk of insulation damage and resulting hazards.

Reply to
Rob

So that is why I see the power company replacing the copper wires that make up the power grid every three years. .

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I've found I can get an extra year or two with these:

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

I dip all my cables in liquid nitrogen before using. This traps the electrons forever. It does cause the plastic insulation to crack. But hey, Duct tape to the rescue.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Nah, you have to use helium to trap them really forever.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's not the lack of electrons. Power cord deterioration is caused by the lack of holes for the electrons to occupy. Holes flow in the opposite direction of electrons. For every electron that flows in one direction, a hole must be available to flow in the opposite direction. The problem is that dirty power fills up the needed holes with glitches, spikes, harmonics, strange particles, anti-matter, ions, and other undesirable nuclear debris. A good cleaning will help but is not a perfect solution as some of these particles cannot easily be dislodged. I suggest passing a strong magnet over the power cord to remove those particles that are magnetically attractive, a sound thrashing to remove those that can be mechanically dislodged, and a thorough washing with household cleaner to facilitate easier transit through the plastic insulation. This process is especially important for power cords operating on known sources of dirty power (generators, treadmills, power factor corrected power sources, 3rd world power, etc). Repeat as needed and your power cords should last a lifetime.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The TVs and lamps usually run out of photons first.

The audio stuff can run out of decibels, too.

lunatic fringe electronics

that's a dbious claim

Has anyone ever bought one of those $700+ power leads?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Just tie a bunch of knots in the cord. Electrons are not very smart and can't figure out the curves.

lunatic fringe electronics

So you've noticed that too? Sometimes it's really hard to explain to them what you want them to do. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's why audiophools use oxygen-free cables. More copper. Less holes.

Reply to
krw

I bet we could get the GEMs (golden-eared morons) to tie knots in various places in power and speaker cables and then have gigantic debates over the sonic effects.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Oh, be quiet.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That may have already been patented. Searching for effects of knots on speaker lead inductance: I find plenty of hits.

Better yet, CAT5 for speaker leads: "Quality materials: Although it would be more ideal to use higher purity oxygen-free copper with long grain structure (or better yet OCC copper)..." OCC = "Ohno Continuous Cast" #18 AWG OCC Silver w/Airlok insulation, only $24.99/ft.

This is too much fun... back to work.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Oh no... what type of knot do you use? I find the sheepshank works best. :^)

GH.

Reply to
George Herold

They should have made them like the plasma TV sets where you could get plasma refill kits, for when you'd been watching too much bright programming.

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

You just need to take charge.