Removing solder mask?

Is it possible to remove solder mask from some PCB's? maybe let the boards soak
in something overnight and presto?

The mask is covering my soldering pads on some boards I had made.

Re: Removing solder mask?

I asked my board vendor about anything that would remove the mask for
rework. never got a decent answer.
As a rule, all vias of 0.5mm drill size are masked as part of a design rule.
When necessary for rework, I've been scraping the mask from the via. Been
using a 1.5 flat blade jeweler's screwdriver held at a negative rake to
scrape the mask off. The blade has been filed to give a very slight burr on
the scraping side.
Similar to this  http://woodgears.ca/scraper/index.html

Re: Removing solder mask?

We got an answer: no.

John

Re: Removing solder mask?

Me too.... scraping is the only solution.

Re: Removing solder mask?

ditto, but first hit on google on disolving soldermask:
http://www.pcb007.com/pages/zone.cgi?a50%283

-Lasse

Re: Removing solder mask?
Thank You! Will look into this.

Re: Removing solder mask?

Also, don't forget to fix the soldermask artwork so that you don't
continue to mask off your pads.

Good Luck!
Rich

Re: Removing solder mask?

If I'm going to do anything in the next release, it would be to fix the
problem that necessitated the rework in the first place <grrrin>
Vias that are masked can be left as bare copper and don't need any
finishing. I leave the ENIG for the important parts.

Re: Removing solder mask?
? 2011?11?30???? UT
C+8??11:00:05?mkr5000???
s soak in something overnight and presto?

Jiangmen ABQ Electronic Material Co.,LTD was estimated in the year of 2006.

specialized in the production of high-end photoimageable PCB ink.

We passed the ISO9001 quality standard identification.and ISO14001.

Our Main products:

PISM white colour RS-2000 (W series)for LED ( patent products ),

PISM white colour matt for automative (we have TS16949 certificate , in Eur
ope our RS-2000 WDM already be appointed to use in Automative industry,so t
here are a lot of PCB factory from china ,from korea ,from Thailand are buy
ing RS-2000 WDM for their Europe automotive order).

Electronica spray ink RS-2000 SP(our electronica spray ink is sucessful in
Korea market already)

PISM green colour RS-2000GL

PISM other colours RS-2000 BL,K,Y,R ,and others.

$UV cured solder mask UV-1000 G green colour

UV cured solder mask UV-1000 W white colour

Etching ink RS-1200,RS-1280,RS-8580

UV etching ink UV-680,UV 690.

Conduction current carbon ink RF-1860

Low pressure coating ink:RS-2000 BDHF

Marking ink.

All of our products are approved by UL ,(UL filenumber :E-310593).

Main customers in china :Founder technology ,Tiger builder ,Red board ,KB

,mankun and so on.

Due to we are setting up a new factory ,the total produce capacity will

reach 800tons per month.

In order to meet the new capacity we must develop oversea market largely

with very competitive price.

Our oversea market is developing very fast on the basis of our competitive

price ,stable quality ,excellent service.

Now our oversea market is :korea ,russia ,india ,parkistan,saudi,brazil

,usa,vietnam,turkey,Iran,malaysia and so on.

Consindering the cost ,now more and more PCB manufacturers choose china

mainland PCB ink supplier.

Now we are developing your market,so if we can get cooperation chance from

you then we will be very much appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from you and best regards.

Mrs. Wang

Export  Manager

Jiangmen ABQ Electronic Material CO.,LTD

Facebook:    https://www.facebook.com/abq.pcb.ink

Video:            https://youtu.be/iZEE5h3H6Dg

Web:                http://www.jmbq.com.cn

E-MAIL:           snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com | snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com