Removing solder mask?

Is it possible to remove solder mask from some PCB's? maybe let the boards soak
in something overnight and presto?

The mask is covering my soldering pads on some boards I had made.

Re: Removing solder mask?

I asked my board vendor about anything that would remove the mask for
rework. never got a decent answer.
As a rule, all vias of 0.5mm drill size are masked as part of a design rule.
When necessary for rework, I've been scraping the mask from the via. Been
using a 1.5 flat blade jeweler's screwdriver held at a negative rake to
scrape the mask off. The blade has been filed to give a very slight burr on
the scraping side.
Similar to this  http://woodgears.ca/scraper/index.html

Re: Removing solder mask?

We got an answer: no.

John

Re: Removing solder mask?

Me too.... scraping is the only solution.

Re: Removing solder mask?

ditto, but first hit on google on disolving soldermask:
http://www.pcb007.com/pages/zone.cgi?a50%283

-Lasse

Re: Removing solder mask?
Thank You! Will look into this.

Re: Removing solder mask?

Also, don't forget to fix the soldermask artwork so that you don't
continue to mask off your pads.

Good Luck!
Rich

Re: Removing solder mask?

If I'm going to do anything in the next release, it would be to fix the
problem that necessitated the rework in the first place <grrrin>
Vias that are masked can be left as bare copper and don't need any
finishing. I leave the ENIG for the important parts.

Site Timeline